Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Special Service Mustangs For Sale (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1982 "Rattle Can Special" CHP (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4089)

Mustang Kid 02-22-2012 01:55 AM

1982 "Rattle Can Special" CHP

Found this one on eBay :(
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...edirect=mobile

I'm 99% sure that we have seen this car before. Used to be all white/primer bad looking. And this is the guy that was selling the CHP equipment I had posted before. Look at his other items and you will see the same airsoft shotgun and the surroundings look the same.
I hope this isn't the same car that he had been mocking the equipment up in his previous auctions.

Still a very restoreable car:)

Mustang Kid 02-22-2012 01:59 AM

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=3934

28HopUp 02-22-2012 09:25 AM

Sam, thanks for posting that 82 up. IIRC, the owner is a member here, but I could not find the thread after a quick look around. As I remember it, this car was owned by a movie company at one time. Does anyone remember the guy's username?

Taken from the ebay ad -

Quote:

This vehicle identity of being unit 0448 is currently unknown by Chp car collectors at this time meaning this vehicle is not included in the 20 or so SSP Mustangs as known varified survivors and being identified in the Vin Registry web site as being existant.

Although we didn't know the car's CHP Unit Number, this car had been included in our VIN Project already. ;)

Mustang Kid 02-22-2012 10:39 AM

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...light=1982+chp
If it's the same car, it's a shame cause it didn't have a red interior in the thread:(

28HopUp 02-22-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Kid (Post 32899)
If it's the same car, it's a shame cause it didn't have a red interior in the thread:(

Thanks for finding that, Sam! The SSP in this thread has a VIN of 213363 according to the listing info on ebay, but the one in the above thread was 213064. So they're different cars - my mistake. :)

mac88chp 02-22-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Kid (Post 32899)

No, no and no...two completely different cars here. Eric owns the '82 in that thread and he is sincerely working on a proper restoration of it at this time.

Edit: Ah, I see Bill caught it.

FoxChassis 02-22-2012 04:24 PM

I had this car in the database previously with the only notes being that I found the VIN on this 'site and it had Bill's named associated with it. Not that Bill owned it, only that he might have posted the VIN, or an ad that it was for sale, etc.

OSP959(R) 02-26-2012 03:39 PM

I'm really kind of puzzled by the red interior.

FHP813 02-26-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSP959(R) (Post 32951)

Makes no sense.

mac88chp 02-27-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSP959(R) (Post 32951)

Quite probably installed by a subsequent owner.

The car didn't meet reserve at $837. Newly listed with an $800 BIN that ends today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ORS:1123#v4-44

OSP959(R) 02-27-2012 01:36 PM

For $800, I'd like to have it to restore, but I'm not driving from Ohio to CA to get it.

chp1982 02-27-2012 04:47 PM

That's a good deal.

67gt500 03-01-2012 12:21 AM

I am seriously thinking about buying this car. There are a few things i am curious about.
-how difficult is it to find the correct interior
-how difficult would it be to find a correct engine/trans and correct exhaust system
-is the period correct CHP equipment hard to come by?

FoxChassis 03-01-2012 12:57 AM

The interior trim code is DV, which is cloth & vinyl seating and low-back buckets (D), and the color is French Vanilla (V). It is a one-year-only color.

The H.O. engine longblock is the same through '84 (and '85 CFI), it's just the induction that's different. Trans is the same through '83. Exhaust is the same through '84.

OSP959(R) 03-01-2012 01:09 AM

I'm puzzled by the red dash/interior. I can understand that it could have been swapped, but it looks like crap. Why take one crappy interior out to put another one in? Why doesn't it have a passenger side spot, or at least a hole for one? How did it end up leaving the highway patrol and staying in California, but it still has "HIGHWAY PATROL" written across the back of it. What's with the 10-hole wheels on a 82? What's with the black and white Krylon spray paint job??

It could very well be a CHP, but there is something about the car that makes me suspicious like the seller wants you to believe it's a former CHP.

ImEvil1 03-01-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSP959(R) (Post 33008)
I'm puzzled by the red dash/interior. I can understand that it could have been swapped, but it looks like crap. Why take one crappy interior out to put another one in? Why doesn't it have a passenger side spot, or at least a hole for one? How did it end up leaving the highway patrol and staying in California, but it still has "HIGHWAY PATROL" written across the back of it. What's with the 10-hole wheels on a 82? What's with the black and white Krylon spray paint job??

It could very well be a CHP, but there is something about the car that makes me suspicious like the seller wants you to believe it's a former CHP.

The Eminger invoice is posted in the VIN project. The VIN also confirms it was a CHP car.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info213363.htm

Interiors get swapped all the time, and the incorrect deck lettering means that someone added it. The seller also clearly stated that the interior had been previously stripped out of the car in his eBay listing.

FoxChassis 03-01-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImEvil1 (Post 33009)
The Eminger invoice is posted in the VIN project.

Heh! That explains why I had Bill's name associated with the entry in my four-eyed Fox database. He's the one that got a copy of the Eminger invoice.

28HopUp 03-01-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxChassis (Post 33010)
Heh! That explains why I had Bill's name associated with the entry in my four-eyed Fox database. He's the one that got a copy of the Eminger invoice.

And that was a random VIN pulled for us by Marti too. Kinda ironic that the car would surface not long afterwards. Here's the thread where we discussed our research on the 1982 SSP Mustangs -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=3737

:)

67gt500 03-01-2012 10:40 AM

so I guess the one year only interior would be the needle in the hay stack.
the body and paint is no big deal. Late model resto doesn't carry the stock twin tip exhaust, i am thinking that would be a little tough to find as well.
What about the CHP equipment?

28HopUp 03-01-2012 10:49 AM

IMO, this car is well worth the effort for that price. There were only 400 SSP's that first year, and this car is somewhat documented already with the Eminger Invoice. If the Unit Number isn't found upon examining the car, then the new owner may be able to receive the Registration History from California DMV, which should list the CHP as the first owner, along with the original license plate number (which is the Unit Number). A donor car(s) may be found to assist with the restoration, and CHP equipment can still be sourced without too much difficulty.

This car is a project for sure, and probably should be inspected beforehand if possible. But these cars aren't getting any easier to find.

FoxChassis 03-01-2012 11:54 AM

Any parts in the interior can be painted or dyed a different color. You just have to find the parts that are correct for '82 and then the correct shade of paint and dye. Most of those parts were carried over from years before and used years after so finding them should not be a big deal.

Walker used to make a twin tip that was close to original. Don't know if they still do. And if I remember, it was not chromed or polished. Stinger Performance sells a chromed twin tip for $50.

The ebay seller stated the unit number was 0448. Don't know where they got that info from, whether it was the usual spot above the door tag, or somewhere else. I've never seen the door tag or buck tags from this car so perhaps now that it has turned up we can get them.

ImEvil1 03-01-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxChassis (Post 33010)

Kevin has been a great asset to work with (Bill and you, too!).

It's cars like this one that show the value of the VIN project. There's no guessing as to what the car is or was, since the documentation exists and is posted for all to see.

28HopUp 03-01-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxChassis (Post 33015)
The ebay seller stated the unit number was 0448. Don't know where they got that info from, whether it was the usual spot above the door tag, or somewhere else. I've never seen the door tag or buck tags from this car so perhaps now that it has turned up we can get them.

I forgot that the seller had posted up this DMV paperwork listing the car's original license plate number -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...213363pic1.jpg

So this car was CHP #870448. If I am reading the paperwork correctly, there was only one registered owner of the car after the CHP.

Mustang Kid 03-01-2012 05:21 PM

Very easy car to find parts for(except original interior). Just find a rusted 82 4spd GT with a good drivetrain.
Like FoxChassis said, the interior panels can be died, just have to get one or two nice original correct color panels and get the color matched. I'm doing that with my SSP. NOS seat material can be found, there are upholstery guys out there that make it their job to hunt down original upholstery.
When I looked at the speaker hole in the bumper in his pictures, it looked like the bottom part of the bumper wasn't there. May have just been the lighting.
The car still has it's key tag with unit # too.
Probably the hardest thing to find equipment wise would be the gun rack if you want an original. I'm still on the hunt for an original for my 85. All the other equipment shows up on eBay from time to time.

If you want an 82 CHP, this is it. It's not like everything on the car is CHP SSP specific. If you spend a little time and search, you will find most all that is missing. :)
Good Luck:thumbsup:

smokin5.0 03-01-2012 09:00 PM

Talk to the seller, he may have some original CHP equipment. The reason I thought he was Robert, is because this guy has posted quite a bit of CHP stuff on Ebay in the past.

67gt500 03-01-2012 11:08 PM

Thanks for all the input, it really helps! OK, finally got a reply from the owner, who says the car is accident free (core support and rear pans are nice), there is no rust issues. He did say that the buck tags are NOT there, this is the one thing that I was hoping was still there. Could the buck tags be reproduced? The speedo is gone also. He does not have any of the original equipment or any CHP stuff.
The drivetrain items appears to be easily obtained as is most of the interior. Are the door panels specific to this year/trim?
I would like to restore this as close as I can to original/correct so I would like to find the specific items like the shotgun rack/mic brackets etc
Not sure about finding an 82 rust bucket out here, it is AZ after all...:rollinglaugh:
Thanks for all the help!

OSP959(R) 03-02-2012 06:01 PM

This auction is entertaining.

First, the car doesn't hit its reserve and ends at $837. The seller re-lists the car with a $800 buy it now option, but it doesn't sell. Then the seller re-lists it again with another reserve (probably $800) and the car is currently at $885. It will surely hit $900 this time.

NoDrama43 03-02-2012 06:19 PM

ebay is comedy most of the time. I buy very little there anymore due to all the fees, and unscrupulous morons that invest the place.

MOstang 03-02-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDrama43 (Post 33030)
and unscrupulous morons that invest the place.

that's a good one jim...did you intend that as an oxymoron or mean to write infest. either word fits pretty good. clown1

67gt500 03-03-2012 11:36 AM

I thought interest would be low again this time around. I started bidding but the same bidder keeps one upping me, so i figure a "buddy bidder" is helping him raise the amount. I met the reserve at 800. I stopped at $880. I wont go much higher because i paid $1000 for my 87 mesa PD ssp that was complete. I would have BIN for 8 if i had found it earlier...
Lets see if the high bidder actually pays.....
Ahhh, the ebay bafoonery!

chp1982 03-03-2012 01:29 PM

Maybe contacting the seller could end the game he is playing(if he really is) and net you the car for a fair price. Good luck, hope you get it.

Mustang Kid 03-03-2012 04:03 PM

What I kinda don't get is that the seller is a member here, but he hasn't listed the car or anything on here to help sell his stuf. When I try to sell something I would try and get the word out.
I would like to see what he has done to his other 82 so far.

chp1982 03-03-2012 04:33 PM

What is the other '82 that he has? I'm a little confused on who this guy is. At first I thought this was the car that was always in the background or vehicle used to mock up CHP equipment that was being sold on Ebay but I don't think it is. Definitely not the movie car either. Good call on the front bumper. It does look like it's missing a chunk out of the DS corner.

OSP959(R) 03-03-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Kid (Post 33041)
I would like to see what he has done to his other 82 so far.

Maybe that's where everything went that's missing from this car.

MOstang 03-03-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Kid (Post 33041)
What I kinda don't get is that the seller is a member here, but he hasn't listed the car or anything on here to help sell his stuf.

The reality is we see this pretty regularly, and for a variety of reasons I suspect. That being said, I agree with you that it seems like an owner would want to list it where SSP enthusiasts visit and to help get the word out. As we see, though, it made here in spite of the owner not being the one to list and market it here.

Mustang Kid 03-04-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chp1982 (Post 33042)
What is the other '82 that he has?

The other car he has is this one I believe. (same link I had posted before)