Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   93 MSHP headed to MN for re-paint to original color (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1944)

MOstang 06-18-2009 09:01 PM

93 MSHP headed to MN for re-paint to original color

3 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Thought I'd share that my 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP is (finally) headed off to be stripped and repainted back to its original white color wore while in-service. Some of you are aware it had been a DARE car for 11 years after service with the MSHP. See last picture attached, which was provided to me by the actual MSHP Trooper assigned. I was fortunate enough to meet him in person.

I got tired of waiting around for shop here in Michigan to take the car in to begin that transformation...so I decided to send it back to Minnesota (where my family and I lived for about 6 years before moving here) and to the shop that did all the work on my 1969 Mach I. In the end I think this will work better since their work quality is a known commodity to me.

Should have done this months ago since it will have only taken me about 1 week from when I spoke with shop in Minnesota to when they have the car and begin stripping it down. I'm told the job should last about month and a half. God willing it will be in that ballpark and not turn into long drawn out paint jail as some others have recently experienced.

After paint is done it will come back to Michigan and all the electronics, etc. (presently standing by waiting) will be installed and I'll have at least finished all the hard (and expensive) work on the car.

Will keep folks posted and share additional photos on the progress as they become available. With a little bit of luck, I may make a debut of the car at one of the local Mustang shows in late August or early September.

FHP813 06-18-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpatte5 (Post 14426)
Hello,

Thought I'd share that my 1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP is (finally) headed off to be stripped and repainted back to its original white color wore while in-service. Some of you are aware it had been a DARE car for 11 years after service with the MSHP. See last picture attached, which was provided to me by the actual MSHP Trooper assigned. I was fortunate enough to meet him in person.

I got tired of waiting around for shop here in Michigan to take the car in to begin that transformation...so I decided to send it back to Minnesota (where my family and I lived for about 6 years before moving here) and to the shop that did all the work on my 1969 Mach I. In the end I think this will work better since their work quality is a known commodity to me.

Should have done this months ago since it will have only taken me about 1 week from when I spoke with shop in Minnesota to when they have the car and begin stripping it down. I'm told the job should last about month and a half. God willing it will be in that ballpark and not turn into long drawn out paint jail as some others have recently experienced.

After paint is done it will come back to Michigan and all the electronics, etc. (presently standing by waiting) will be installed and I'll have at least finished all the hard (and expensive) work on the car.

Will keep folks posted and share additional photos on the progress as they become available. With a little bit of luck, I may make a debut of the car at one of the local Mustang shows in late August or early September.

Nice, always an exciting time. :thumbsup:

ImEvil1 06-18-2009 09:47 PM

I love these threads....thanks for keeping us posted on the progress.

28HopUp 06-18-2009 09:55 PM

Glad you have a shop where you already have a relationship. This is my first time using the shop I am for my CHP. And frankly, I was using my SSP to test their work. My 66 Mustang needs body work and paint too.

Best of luck while she's away. Hope the time flies by quickly...

Winterpark SSP 06-20-2009 08:21 AM

Nice!

I cannot wait to see the progress pics!

MOstang 06-20-2009 12:47 PM

Gentleman - Thank you and I'll be sure to post some additional pictures as they become available.

SparkSVT 06-20-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpatte5 (Post 14443)
Gentleman - Thank you and I'll be sure to post some additional pictures as they become available.

Way to go Mike! Great thread and I look foward to seeing pictures of its progress. :2thumbs:

MOstang 06-29-2009 04:10 PM

Progress Stripping 93 MSHP SSP

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

My 93 MSHP SSP has been at the restoration shop for 1 week now. Thought that I'd share a couple photos of progress stripping it down prior to returning it to the original white color. Paint on the car is presently about 3/4 stripped. Thank you.

28HopUp 06-29-2009 08:50 PM

Thanks for the pics!

MOstang 07-02-2009 06:28 PM

More Progress w/93 MO State Hwy. Patrol SSP

3 Attachment(s)
Moving right along...some more photos to share. Now 100% stripped.

MOstang 07-12-2009 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello - Here's another photo of my 93 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP from July 9th...they have a little more sanding left on the bumpers before next step in process.

MOstang 08-09-2009 06:44 PM

93 MSHP updated photos strip/repaint

2 Attachment(s)
Hello - Here are the latest photos (from Saturday) depicting the progress of my 93 MSHP, which is being stripped and repainted back to original white. For those who are unsure, the greenish color is an etching primer to lock down the metal and the darker grey color is the sealer. The blocking and sanding process will begin tomorrow. Everything continues to move along nicely as we get closer to the actual painting.

FHP813 08-09-2009 07:24 PM

Looks like they're doing it right. Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress.

MOstang 08-09-2009 08:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I sure hope so...Lord knows it's costing a fortune to have done it done this way. Fortunately the wife is supportive (or maybe it is that she has just given up when it comes to me spending money on my Mustangs).

MOstang 10-07-2009 07:37 PM

My 93 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP was to have been painted back white today. God willing that in fact happened and I'll have some photos on it to post up very soon!

MOstang 10-10-2009 11:19 AM

Body now repainted white

3 Attachment(s)
Getting closer! They still have to paint the hood, deck, bumpers and moldings white. The MSHP SSP is looking good back in white.

FHP813 10-10-2009 06:33 PM

Awesome! it won't be long now. :2thumbs:

28HopUp 10-11-2009 08:42 AM

That's great Mike. Love a freshly painted SSP. Thanks for the pics.

MOstang 10-11-2009 04:17 PM

Gentleman - Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to moving past this phase. Have had all the equipment sitting in my basement waiting to be installed for too long now :) .

jpargo 10-11-2009 08:34 PM

Mike, you're in the home stretch...car looks great. We're all looking forward to you getting it back and have the equipment installed. Keep the pictures coming John;)

MOstang 10-13-2009 06:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More pictures from today...now hood; deck; bumpers and moldings are painted white. Looking nice and won't be long now:thumbsup: . And by the way yes the wheels are incorrect (painted black by prior owner) but I have the correct 10 holes to go on later.

MOstang 10-23-2009 08:08 PM

And finally...a date for pickup!

4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Received some pleasant news today. I can schedule my repainted 93 MSHP SSP for pickup anytime after November 2nd for return trip to Michigan! I'm pretty excited as you can imagine :D.

I can't imagine what it will be like to finally be able to see our bar top in the basement again. It's been covered with the equipment to go into this SSP for nearly the whole 2 years we've lived here. Looking forward to the next phase of this journey to bring my car back to MSHP in-service condition.

Here's a few of the photos I received today...finishing up piecing everything back together :yes: .

28HopUp 10-24-2009 07:22 AM

I'm very happy for you! The car is looking great!

stadair 10-24-2009 03:23 PM

Belt line trim

All the peices of the belt line... When they pulled them off, were they reuseable? Specifically, the door trim. Did you reuse the old ones? Or did you buy all new? They look great.

MOstang 10-24-2009 05:38 PM

Thanks gentleman for the feedback.

Toshi - The trim was given a "refresh" just before I bought it and looked really nice. It's being reinstalled back on the car so not buying new.

MOstang 10-28-2009 09:02 PM

Ahhh...pieced back together new white paint

2 Attachment(s)
Getting close on my Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP return back to new white color. Essentially pieced back together now. Just awaiting shipper to firm a date for return to Michigan...ETA probably week of November 8th :thumbsup:.

Apologies for the picture quality on the photo from the front...bad lighting + lots of glare = bad photo. Will share better photos as they become available.

MOstang 11-02-2009 10:35 PM

Good news...my MSHP SSP is scheduled for pickup Thursday in Minneapolis and delivery here in Detroit on Monday. Looking forward to getting it back so I can move forward with equipment install.

28HopUp 11-03-2009 11:39 AM

That's great! I hope the days fly by for you 'til it arrives. I'm sure the anticipation is a killer.

Winterpark SSP 11-03-2009 06:02 PM

Awesome!

Looks fantastic!!!

merriampd4763 11-03-2009 11:41 PM

Hey Mike, car Looks Great!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

MOstang 11-04-2009 06:43 PM

Gentleman - Thanks for the feedback...hoping the next few days fly by for me...fortunately Monday will be here soon, though.

MOstang 11-05-2009 08:55 PM

Headed back to Michigan

3 Attachment(s)
Few photos loading up in the correct white color for the return trip to Michigan. Scheduled to arrive late morning or early afternoon Monday.

mac88chp 11-06-2009 02:08 PM

Ahhhh, covered transporter...the only way to fly! Hope you can sleep this weekend. :)

copper 11-06-2009 06:23 PM

Mike,
Looking at your SSP, it was definately worth the wait. Great looking car.

MOstang 11-09-2009 08:02 PM

Back in White

2 Attachment(s)
My 93 MSHP SSP returned to correct white color now back home in Michigan. Too bad AC-DC didn't record a song 'Back in White'. Now on with the equipment install :yes: .

mac88chp 11-09-2009 08:16 PM

Congrats on the safe arrival...let the project payoff begin! :cool:

Texaspony87 11-10-2009 12:35 AM

You lucked out with the weather too! No snow or salt yet to mess it up :) Keep it away from the deer. I will have to pay you a visit before too long. Looks good! Joe

MOstang 11-10-2009 07:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback...I'm looking forward to wrapping up this project. Not too many Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustangs to begin with so it is a good thing getting one more returned to in-service condition :cool: .