Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Are are mods to SSP sacrilege (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2601)

N20neenee 04-10-2010 04:45 PM

Are are mods to SSP sacrilege

Im working on my 93 FHP car and wanted to test the waters on what mods can be done without tainting the originality of the car.

I was thinking maybe camber caster plates as almost all fox mustang I have seen have a good deal of negative camber w/ inside tire wear

So what are the limits on this? Is 30-over boring an 200K engine crossing the bounds?

28HopUp 04-10-2010 04:59 PM

Everyone has a different definition of going too far with modifications. The two things you've asked about aren't crossing any type of line in my opinion.

Welcome to the forum! Have you posted any pictures of your car yet?

MOstang 04-10-2010 05:43 PM

From my perspective I don't have any problems if the modifications are tasteful. I think most SSP enthusiasts tend tend to prefer those that are stock or stock appearing.

ABN2060 04-10-2010 06:19 PM

This is my take on this. As long as the upgrades appear stock you are good to go. For example, upgrading from drum to rear disk brakes is acceptable as well as tastfull engine mods. ie. installing GT-40 heads because they appear stock. You see where I'm going with this? Now, if your talking about ripping out the interior to make it a race car, then someone here will shoot you.

ssp91ssp 04-10-2010 10:56 PM

NOOOOO Ricky Race Cars .....:No no:
And Yes , The more original ... The better .;)

ssp91ssp

NoDrama43 04-11-2010 09:29 AM

ya'll are doing a good job on this one so I think I will sit this one out....:yes:

FlyinTiger 04-11-2010 11:27 AM

IMO, as long as you keep the car on the road, most everything can be put back to stock later. Save your original parts for a future owner. And as previously mentioned, hidden mods are just that. More fun, without drawing attention.

Texaspony87 04-11-2010 12:15 PM

Why are there so few people interested in preserving these cars for what they were and keeping that way? I would like to know. To me, as I have said before, hot rod cars are a whole different topic from what this site was created for.

MOstang 04-11-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texaspony87 (Post 19675)
Why are there so few people interested in preserving these cars for what they were and keeping that way? I would like to know.

Hi Joe - Looking forward to seeing you at a car show this season. I'm not sure if your question above is directed towards the originator of this post and/or those of us who replied. If inclusive of those who replied, I don't interpret any of us are suggesting that hot rodding an SSP is the way to go.

As a for instance we all know the brakes are a concern if you do much driving of these Mustangs. While I haven't done so myself I could see someone wanting to improve the safety of the vehicle by addressing the brakes (in what would likely be a modification from original spec). Even with the limited driving (mostly to/from shows) I do with my SSP's, this thought has crossed my mind. With the nut-jobs driving (seems they are all on road at same time when an SSP or classic car is driving) it can be scary out there even for us defensive drivers.

mustangretriever 04-11-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texaspony87 (Post 19675)
Why are there so few people interested in preserving these cars for what they were and keeping that way? I would like to know. To me, as I have said before, hot rod cars are a whole different topic from what this site was created for.

I agree. Keep it as stock as possible. There are tons of Fox body Mustangs out there available for mods. If you already have a well running stock original SSP why screw it up? But as I've said for a long time, the more SSP's that are modified it just makes my 100% stock SSP appreciate in value just a little more. :-)