Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking at a 1991 SSP Need Help (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2328)

ajstoys63 12-01-2009 05:48 PM

Looking at a 1991 SSP Need Help

I am looking at a black 1991 SSP that was never marked. As I have been told it was owned by a government agency. It is an automatic and has 74000 miles on it. The ca is loaded with all of the options that you could get. It has the premium interior, am/fm/cassette, no pillar light, oil cooler, seat supports, full size spare/with cover. It does have the buck tags but I could not see the I.D. numbers. It has an "X" pipe with an aftermarket exhaust (which I am not to happy with) but that can be changed. He wanted $8900 and I got him down to $7500... Is that too much? The car has no rust but it has been re-painted, (Maaco job) so there are some holdays with that... All the panels are original... I am just curious what the average price is for a car like this... Thanks, Al

FlyinTiger 12-01-2009 06:06 PM

"Too much" can only be determined by you. Currently, the market is alright, not soft like non specialty Mustangs. If the car makes you happy, buy it. But keep in mind, in the world of SSP's, a marked, 2-tone, 5-speed will always be more valuable. Post some pics if you get a chance.

ImEvil1 12-01-2009 06:35 PM

Does the car still have the door data tag?

Price-wise, Donny is right...it's up to you. I'd say you can do better than what the guy was originally asking, though, with JPargo's car (if it didn't sell already....46K mile Santa Clara car with a beautiful paint job for the same $$).

ajstoys63 12-01-2009 07:50 PM

If you are talking about the regular manufacturer sticker yes its on the drivers side door opening. The buck tags are still behind the headlight but I couldn't read the numbers...I would rather have an un-marked vehicle then a marked one. Does anybody on here have a clean one for sale? Here is the link to the dealer that has it on consignment.
http://www.stradacars.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=2479519

ajstoys63 12-01-2009 07:54 PM

Oh and by the way... I do not want to rip the car apart to race it.. This car I'm looking at as an aftermarket exhaust, "X" pipe and cold air induction that I would ave to replace bact to as close to stock as I can get it... Thanks Guys!

NoDrama43 12-01-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstoys63 (Post 17184)
I am looking at a black 1991 SSP that was never marked. As I have been told it was owned by a government agency. It is an automatic and has 74000 miles on it. The ca is loaded with all of the options that you could get. It has the premium interior, am/fm/cassette, no pillar light, oil cooler, seat supports, full size spare/with cover. It does have the buck tags but I could not see the I.D. numbers. It has an "X" pipe with an aftermarket exhaust (which I am not to happy with) but that can be changed. He wanted $8900 and I got him down to $7500... Is that too much? The car has no rust but it has been re-painted, (Maaco job) so there are some holdays with that... All the panels are original... I am just curious what the average price is for a car like this... Thanks, Al

Evil is right on about jpargo's car. It is beautiful. I owned it for short time and can attest to the quality of the car. It is basically a turn key car ready for the show circuit. Not wanting to hijak the thread but for the money you would be ahead to at least talk to jon about the car.

ssp91ssp 12-01-2009 09:59 PM

Al,
welcome to the site !
I agree with these guys on John's car it's killer ...
As far as the one your looking at i also agree ! If you like it go for it ...it looks good in the pics ..maybe just replace the carpet as it looks stained a bit ..
good luck .

ssp91ssp
hector

ajstoys63 12-01-2009 10:05 PM

The person tha you are talking about that has his car for sale... Where is he and who is he? What year ishis car? I am open to suggestions... I looked at the carpets and they could be cleaned up they are in decent shape like you said just stained. Thanks..

stadair 12-01-2009 10:19 PM

The car looks real nice in the photos. I just have one minor comment...I don't think that those seats came with that car from the factory. They are GT seats as far as I know. I know my '90 LX convertible had them stock, but coupes?

FlyinTiger 12-01-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stadair (Post 17206)
The car looks real nice in the photos. I just have one minor comment...I don't think that those seats came with that car from the factory. They are GT seats as far as I know. I know my '90 LX convertible had them stock, but coupes?

The GT/LX 5.0 seats came in quite a few government ordered cars. They were optioned out a little better than the standard SSP.

ImEvil1 12-01-2009 10:26 PM

Those are the correct seats.....some GSA cars (DSO 83) received them.

Here is the link to JPargo's ad:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2206

stadair 12-01-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImEvil1 (Post 17208)
Those are the correct seats.....some GSA cars (DSO 83) received them.

Here is the link to JPargo's ad:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2206

Interesting...

FlyinTiger 12-01-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstoys63 (Post 17204)
The person tha you are talking about that has his car for sale... Where is he and who is he? What year ishis car? I am open to suggestions... I looked at the carpets and they could be cleaned up they are in decent shape like you said just stained. Thanks..

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2206 Beautiful car. Gary did a thorough job restoring this one with many NOS parts, paint stripped to bare metal, etc.

stadair 12-01-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinTiger (Post 17207)
The GT/LX 5.0 seats came in quite a few government ordered cars. They were optioned out a little better than the standard SSP.

I wish I had those seats in my SSP. The seats I have are SOOO uncomfortable! I don't know how an officer could sit in those all day long.

ImEvil1 12-01-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinTiger (Post 17207)

I've seen some (in person, in-service) in '91 cars. None prior to that. I don't think it had anything to do with how they were optioned....but it'd be interesting to see a window sticker for one.

ajstoys63 12-01-2009 10:40 PM

What about it not having the single key? It uses the standard 2 key system. I would like to change it over t the single key and also put the black power coated wheels on it... Like I said other then the paint and the obnoxious exhaust it is really tight. I also own a 1984 LTD LX with the old 5.0 V-8 since 1990. I love the Fox cars. This SSP has never had anything mounted inside. It is, with the exception of the carpet being a bit stained and the paint not being top quality, in good shape.

FlyinTiger 12-01-2009 10:52 PM

Single key was an option.

ImEvil1 12-01-2009 10:52 PM

Personally, I'd spend the extra $1500 and buy the Santa Clara car. It is pristine.

NoDrama43 12-01-2009 11:30 PM

the santa clara car is rarer as it is dark blue. and it is almost perfect. seriously...if you are going to spend 7500.00 you definitely need to look at jon's 91.

I would be very concerned about the cheapo paint job on the black car. I know what MAACO does to paint stuff and it aint good.

ajstoys63 12-02-2009 06:15 AM

Ok... I checked the picture of the blue SSP that John has but where does he live? I have to factor in transporting it here also. Is he still selling it? Thanks

whr44 12-02-2009 07:25 AM

John lives in Old Forge PA. Between Scranton and Wilkes Barre, not far from your location in Jersey. Could drive up and not worry about shipping.

ajstoys63 12-02-2009 10:08 AM

Ok... I asked him if it was still for sale so I will have to wait for his reply... I can't hold the guy off for much longer then today on the black '91... Thats why I am kinda rushing. You are right... Shipping wouldn't be an issue...

ImEvil1 12-02-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstoys63 (Post 17221)
Ok... I asked him if it was still for sale so I will have to wait for his reply... I can't hold the guy off for much longer then today on the black '91... Thats why I am kinda rushing. You are right... Shipping wouldn't be an issue...

The dealer pressuring you for an answer?

NoDrama43 12-02-2009 11:05 AM

I would tell the dealer that you will let him know if and when you want to buy the car. With a MAACO paint job it is overpriced big time. even at 7500.00

I would bet lunch he doesn't have over 5500.00 in the car.

you need to talk to John. Once you see the blue 91 he has you will know what I am talking about.

ajstoys63 12-02-2009 11:35 AM

John and I are now in communication... I hope this works out!! Thank all of you for your help. I am really looking forward to entering this dark and shadowing world of the SSP's.... Ha ha ha!! How nice is this car??? Since some of you have seen it...

Thanks, Al

ImEvil1 12-02-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstoys63 (Post 17226)
John and I are now in communication... I hope this works out!! Thank all of you for your help. I am really looking forward to entering this dark and shadowing world of the SSP's.... Ha ha ha!! How nice is this car??? Since some of you have seen it...

Thanks, Al

Good deal, and good luck. I can't believe that his car is still available; especially seeing some of what's been selling on eBay. That car is really nicely done.

ajstoys63 12-02-2009 01:20 PM

All that I can say is WOW!!! Did they miss anything when they dismantled it??? I can't beleive the detail... When was all of the work done??

NoDrama43 12-02-2009 02:07 PM

another member here restored the car. His member name here is sspgary. He lives in Canada and is very very meticulous, as you will see when you view the car.

MOstang 12-02-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImEvil1 (Post 17227)
Good deal, and good luck. I can't believe that his car is still available; especially seeing some of what's been selling on eBay. That car is really nicely done.

I agree Mike...suprising John's car hasn't sold yet...great color and price!

ajstoys63 12-05-2009 01:26 PM

Hello guys... I have reveiwed all of the documentation for John's car and have decided because of the pristine condition that I am not going to purchase it. I, at this time, do not have a garage to store the vehicle in and do not want to leave it exposed to the elements so the car will start to deteriate with just a cover on it in the driveway... If I had a storage place for it I would have bought it with out hesitation. I appreciate all of his and all of you guy's help in this.

FlyinTiger 12-05-2009 02:28 PM

There is a fine line in making a car too nice. Once they pass that point, you do feel guilty exposing the hard work to the elements. Keep looking. There are deals to be had.

NoDrama43 12-05-2009 02:30 PM

i paid 60.00 a month for a 10 x 20 storage garage for that very reason. Not wanting a nice car to sit outside.

ajstoys63 12-05-2009 06:53 PM

Trust me the people who rebuilt that car did an excellent job on her... I don't want to have it sit and all of their work go to waste. I want the car nice.. I would love to have it and could have it... But they made that car above showroom and it should be treated that way. I am in the future looking into moving and having a house with a garage or pole barn to store these cars... Right now that is what holding me back from having a fleet of collectable cars.. Oh the 'Stangs that I have owned and had gave up.... Truth be told I was going to buy John's car for the sheer selfish fact to just have a brand new 1991 SSP that needs nothing.. But then I thought about the fact that I would deprive someone else of this fine mark on history... So I will find one hat is less then perfect that I can work on and if I do finnaly get the dream garage the fleet will be secure and safe from the elements... I thank you guys for the help and understanding and I truly hope to join you if I can find an acceptable speciman to join your ranks. It may be the black 1991 or another one that I may find... Time will tell... Any more for sale nearby me?

SparkSVT 12-06-2009 12:08 AM

money is tight for me too.

ajstoys63 12-06-2009 08:38 AM

Actually my friend the money is not an issue...Its leaving a beautiful car outside that someone spent many hours on to make it very special. Its like spending months on your front lawn and garden to have someone come up and throw trash on it and let there dog pee on it.... Thats wat it is all about. These gentleman spent many hours restoring this car and it wasn't to have it sit outside with the elements eating away at it... I would love someone to buy John's car that can keep it pristine for the future... Maybe I am a dreamer but that is how I feel.

SparkSVT 12-06-2009 04:27 PM

not buying because its TOO nice. Thats a new one.

ImEvil1 12-06-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparkSVT (Post 17287)

If you don't have anything constructive to add, why even open your mouth?

ajstoys63 12-06-2009 08:05 PM

Well maybe if you really knew what I was about you would understand me... Sometimes you have to think outside the box... But yes because its too nice and I really appreciate the beauty in things... It can be in nature or fine works of art... This '91 is a fine work of art. Someone brought it back to its original beauty to be admired... Not for me to park it in my driveway and cover it up and let the elements eat away at it..... As for it being a new one not wanting to "buy it because its too nice" Well sometimes you have to look past the trees to see the forrest....

stadair 12-06-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparkSVT (Post 17287)

I totally agree with ajstoys63. I've got two young kids at home. If I had a really nice car with a pristine, show car paint job, and it got scratched from one of their toys... I would go bonkers. My mind is more at ease with a worn paint job and tarnished interior...even though I park it indoors.

NoDrama43 12-06-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstoys63 (Post 17290)
Well maybe if you really knew what I was about you would understand me... Sometimes you have to think outside the box... But yes because its too nice and I really appreciate the beauty in things... It can be in nature or fine works of art... This '91 is a fine work of art. Someone brought it back to its original beauty to be admired... Not for me to park it in my driveway and cover it up and let the elements eat away at it..... As for it being a new one not wanting to "buy it because its too nice" Well sometimes you have to look past the trees to see the forrest....

It is a great car AJ. But only you can decide if it is something you want. Don't let the negative attitude get you down. Just keep looking till you find the car that fits the bill for you. There are plenty of nice drivers that come up periodically.