Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Talk me out of a part out??? (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3655)

screamen_seamen 08-22-2011 06:49 PM

Talk me out of a part out???

So I am not going to lie, I bought this 89 coupe a couple weeks ago because I love the looks and suspension of notch backs. I have a LS1 T56 that I took out of my 00 SS Camaro that I have been planning on putting into it. The car had drove off into a culvert on the drivers front but is very repairable. Everything is in front of the strut tower. This is a completely virgin car exept for flowmasters have been installed. When I took the fender and bumper cover off I seen the buck tag and it sayes GOVT above Special Service Package and knew the 160 speedo seemed weird so I started check stuff out. My car is blue on blue with a 5.0 AOD. Interior is very clean, and exterior needs paint and the front repaired. What is up with this car, people are freaking out about what I am about to do to this car.

ImEvil1 08-22-2011 06:57 PM

I'm not freaking out, but I do have a say as to what is and isn't posted on this site.

Your car is pretty rare, and with a little research, someone may be able to figure out which governmental agency it served with. DEA, FBI, USPS, etc all used small numbers of these cars, and this one could very well have come from one of those agencies.

We are all about preserving the cars here, so that's probably what you are hearing from myself and others. There's tons of 4 cylinder cars and other beat-on notches out there to mod.

My .02.

screamen_seamen 08-22-2011 07:09 PM

Wasn't necessarily referring to you. I advertised some parts off of it for sale on my local craigslist and have got a ton of email and text. What's this car worth? I understand there are others but this car is clean and a perfect virgin for my daily driver build.

screamen_seamen 08-22-2011 07:35 PM

I cannot post pics from my phone, but I can text them to someone if they would upload them for me.

ABN2060 08-22-2011 08:15 PM

Don't part it out. Like Mr. Evil said, sell your SSP to someone here or on .org and get a 4cyl or a non SSP notch to mod. Those cars are just so rare we all would hate to see it get all moded to the point of no return.

screamen_seamen 08-22-2011 08:37 PM

Can anybody tell me what this thing is worth? I don't even know where to start as far as tracking down the history.

Rhino 08-22-2011 08:49 PM

If you can post up some photos of the car, it would assist with assessing what it may be worth.

Typically (and others can chime in here and correct me if needed) - Project cars that are from the Aero style typically run anywhere from $800-2000 depending on condition. The worse the condition, the lower the price. A driving mustang that needs paint - probably around $2-4K. Some nice ones that are already respectible with good paint/daily drivers - $5-8K and so on.

All depends on what it's history is, what comes with the car, what condition, etc.

I agree with all on this thread - would be good to try and see if someone could have a shot at saving it vs. going the modded route - they're only original once. :)

Hope this helps.

screamen_seamen 08-22-2011 09:01 PM

Yeah I was kind of thinking numbers like that, I wouldn't want to
Sell this car and spend months searching for one this clean to replace it without having some kind of advantage for my self. How would I even
Get started trying to figure out what agency used this car?

ImEvil1 08-22-2011 09:09 PM

Post up pics of the door tag and DSO number and we'll see if we can help.

90Coupe 08-22-2011 09:15 PM

Let someone have a shot at this car before you begin your modification plans. I'm sure there are many people that would readily trade you a similiar notch Mustang that isn't an SSP or even a car that has already been modified to a point that meets your wants. From reading your post you seem to know what you want in a car, most guys on here have several Mustangs that aren't SSP's and might have a very nice trade for you. If you don't want to sell due to the time to find another car, let this forum do the work for you. Thanks for posting your cars info on here.