Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Members' SSPs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1982 CHP #0327 (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3965)

chp1982 04-30-2017 09:01 PM

Looking great!

28HopUp 05-01-2017 10:14 AM

Very cool! Good luck getting it smogged.

mac88chp 05-01-2017 06:56 PM

Your car is certainly coming along and looking good Steve. Hope all goes smoothly at the smog station.

Yesterday was indeed a great day for getting these old warhorses out. I drove mine across the Golden Gate Bridge and on down to Half Moon Bay to be part of a vintage police car display at the Pacific Coast Dream Machines Show.

Wolfe1013 05-01-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28HopUp (Post 55447)
Very cool! Good luck getting it smogged.

The year I got mine and went to get my registration and plates was the one year the city of Memphis decided to smog test all vehicles, including those going for antique tags. It's a one time purchase but your limited on usage. Weekends are free but don't get caught driving through the week unless getting the car serviced or going to some event.

A proper tune up and a bottle of "Guaranteed to Pass" does work and got my 82 cleaned up and running well enough to pass the inspection. You can find it at your local auto parts store.

Greg

Steve 05-01-2017 11:42 PM

I've got to run the whole tank of gas through first so I am driving it as much as I can. I have heard it is hard to get these 82's through California smog check standards; I have no idea why. A new catalytic converter can make up for a lot, though, and if she needs it she'll get one. I think a tune up is probably in order too.

Mac88chp, that sounds like fun. I was thinking of going to the Dream Machine show, but next weekend the wife and I will go to Reno, NV for a few days of R&R. Maybe I'll see you at the Ripon EV show if you attend.

I finished making the CC1 to MPA2 cable today; as soon as the parts to rebuild the CC1 plastic J1 connector come in I'll be ready to test everything again.

As I have been driving 0327 around, configured as in the last pics, hardly anyone seems to notice. Only at the gas station the other night did a kid (~20-22) ask about it; he was a Mustang fan and recognized what it was.

NoDrama43 05-02-2017 12:01 AM

all this 1982 CHP stuff has got me itching to drive one.....

Steve 05-02-2017 12:49 AM

Jim you're welcome to do so anytime! Come out to N. California and help me put some miles on 0327 so I can get through this tank of gas!

mac88chp 05-03-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 55450)
Mac88chp, that sounds like fun. I was thinking of going to the Dream Machine show, but next weekend the wife and I will go to Reno, NV for a few days of R&R. Maybe I'll see you at the Ripon EV show if you attend.

Steve, bring your car to show at Ripon this year completed or not. We'll be there with #3035 and will probably also be bringing along our other in-progress project as we did last year:

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rtfwsqtgr...3117vi1-vi.jpg
Ripon EV Show - 2016

Steve 05-03-2017 09:25 PM

I will surely bring it to Ripon this year, in whatever state it is in at the time. I've already talked with my high-school-age son and he wants to come too, to see all the cars.

I've been running 0327 as a daily driver all week, to put miles on it. To the store, to the bank, to the local Stop-and-Rob at 2 am for a twelvepack (just kidding about the last part). So it looks now like late next week it will go into the shop for tune-up and smog check.

Today I put a new headlight switch in because the old one was intermittent. The key to it is pulling out the lights control knob and metal shaft; otherwise you cannot get the old switch out. I putzed around with it for an hour before I looked at the new switch and figured out the small spring-loaded pushbutton on the bottom is there for a reason; it's the locking pin release for the shaft.

chp1982 05-03-2017 09:36 PM

I never got around to installing that nos switch. Looks like maybe I did myself a favor!