Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   130 Amp Alternator - HELP (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=749)

Winterpark SSP 11-11-2007 09:44 PM

130 Amp Alternator - HELP

Hey Guys,

Hope all is well with each of you! I am having a rather difficult time finding a correct replacment alternator for my 1993 SSP. I have read many posts and what I have concluded is the alternator bracket will have to get "trimmed" at a local machine shop. Is this the only way?

I actually purchased a new one from Ford and ran into this problem. As a newbie to these cars I returned the core before actually putting the new one in as it was "the" factory replacment. Not a good decision, but I never ran into this problem before or would have expected it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Best,

Barry

FHP0665 11-11-2007 10:20 PM

From what I have read here as well, is it will have to be trimmed. When I went to replace mine years back I was lucky enough to have the parts guy look at my old one and see that the new replacement wasn't going to work. After going through several other types, he basiclly said the body of the alternator was like a GM and the mounting bracket was Ford. Only way to fix it was rebuild from a local alternator shop which I've done 3 times now over the years.

ImEvil1 11-11-2007 11:58 PM

I'd shoot Nodrama (Jim Y) a PM....he had to do the same thing and can probably send you pics of exactly what needs to be trimmed.

That, or just hope to try and find one to rebuild, like Larry said. They are few and far between, but it's not impossible.

How long ago did you turn the core in?

Winterpark SSP 11-12-2007 09:47 PM

Returned my core and when I realized what the situation was I immediately called and my core was gone. No way to retrieve.

How do I send a PM?

ImEvil1 11-12-2007 09:52 PM

You can find him on the memberlist link at the top of the page, then click his name. Once you're at his profile, you can click the PM link.

y2kcobra88 11-13-2007 03:08 AM

alternator

I have an extra working ssp alternator if you want a correct one. Shoot me an email.

NoDrama43 11-13-2007 01:42 PM

I paid big bucks for an "alledged" NOS replacement alternator for my 1992 CHP car. When it arrived I had to remove the correct 130 amp alternator from my 92 FHP and take both alts to a machine shope to get the "alledged" nos one cut correctly to fit the stock ford bracket.

not sure but I believe a bronco 130 alt is the same, albeit needs to be machined.

the correct alt bracket with the 7" (hole to hole) alt opening is very hard to find.

Winterpark SSP 11-13-2007 11:52 PM

Done. I will send you an email, if I can figure out how to navigate the site :-) Thank You!