Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hood liner insulator discussion (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7126)

Cobra Jet 02-26-2024 08:48 AM

Hood liner insulator discussion

Why did some agencies delete the hood liners?

If an Agency deleted the liner for one model year, did they usually do it across all orders they placed each year after?

Reason I’m asking is looking through many online photos, I’m seeing some SSP’s with deleted hood liners and others with the hood liners. The problem is, I don’t know how it was when the vehicle was in-service since many (at this point in time) the images are of restored examples and it’s possible the civilian owner didn’t reinstall a factory hood liner due to lack of supply (now)….

Andy 02-26-2024 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Jet (Post 58911)
Why did some agencies delete the hood liners?

If an Agency deleted the liner for one model year, did they usually do it across all orders they placed each year after?

Reason I’m asking is looking through many online photos, I’m seeing some SSP’s with deleted hood liners and others with the hood liners. The problem is, I don’t know how it was when the vehicle was in-service since many (at this point in time) the images are of restored examples and it’s possible the civilian owner didn’t reinstall a factory hood liner due to lack of supply (now)….

That is A GREAT Question !

calimustang 03-13-2024 09:57 AM

my belief would be high speed pursuits and engine gets very hot and hood insulation makes it much more hotter and may catch fire? plus keep in mind, police equipment with wiring may come too close to the hood insulation..... and catch fire. I even tossed those out of my daily driver VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (turbo diesel) as they tend to sag and touches the turbo which came close on my case, tossed.

MOstang 03-16-2024 05:16 PM

You're referring to what's under the hood and that sites above the engine when the hood is closed? I believe the answer you're seeking is it was deleted as part of the SSP package, so I don't think it was an Agency choice like silicone hoses vs. no silicone hoses (which was a choice).

Cobra Jet 03-17-2024 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOstang (Post 58920)
You're referring to what's under the hood and that sites above the engine when the hood is closed? I believe the answer you're seeking is it was deleted as part of the SSP package, so I don't think it was an Agency choice like silicone hoses vs. no silicone hoses (which was a choice).

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. So the hood insulator/liner was an SSP “delete” regardless of State Agency? I didn’t know that; I was trying to figure out if these were added back by owners (after the auctions) or if they came with them as factory like their civilian counterparts. Just could not tell 100% when looking at the many online e pics of restored SSP’s where some hoods are open and the insulator is there and on others it was not.