Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1988 chp (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4321)

bullitt2001 06-19-2012 05:40 PM

1988 chp

Hello I'm new on this forum.. I'm going to possibly by a 1988 chp mustang.. I was going to ask what exactly to look for to make sure it's a true chp. Here is the link. http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/3076575327.html. Tell me what you think.. Oh and this is the vin. 1fabp40e9jf221513. Thanks

Mustang Kid 06-19-2012 06:33 PM

Welcome! Looks like a nice starting point if you get it. What would your plans be with it?

You can tell a CHP by the buck tag, door tag DSO #, the vin (if its in the range of CHP vins), three holes on the side of the black plastic around the gauge cluster(right side), traces of where the spotlights and whip antenna were (cracking bondo?), traces of black and white paint, raised unit # written on the drivers door jam above the door sticker, ect.

Looks like that is the "CHP" repaint that was put on prior to sale.

mac88chp 06-19-2012 06:46 PM

I remember this car being for sale a while back. I think it was confirmed a CHP then, it's in the VIN range. The DSO# on the door cert. label and the buck tag should read "72-0047".

Andy 06-19-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Kid (Post 34888)
Welcome! Looks like a nice starting point if you get it. What would your plans be with it?

You can tell a CHP by the buck tag, door tag DSO #, the vin (if its in the range of CHP vins), three holes on the side of the black plastic around the gauge cluster(right side), traces of where the spotlights and whip antenna were (cracking bondo?), traces of black and white paint, raised unit # written on the drivers door jam above the door sticker, ect.

Looks like that is the "CHP" repaint that was put on prior to sale.

Sam.
I think you could change your user name to SSP Detective!
ALL great information given a first timer here. very similar to
my questions i had asked
And bullitt2001.............
welcome to the site. You came to the right place!
Now buy that thing before someone else does and
makes it into a dumb ass drag car!
(happens more then you would think)

Mustang Kid 06-19-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 34893)
Sam.
I think you could change your user name to SSP Detective!
ALL great information given a first timer here. very similar to
my questions i had asked
And bullitt2001.............
welcome to the site. You came to the right place!
Now buy that thing before someone else does and
makes it into a dumb ass drag car!
(happens more then you would think)

Thanks Andy:thumbsup:
After all, I've learned what I know from this site and the many great members:D

Do buy the car, as what Andy said is true. Or some kid will get a hold of it and rice it out.

bullitt2001 06-20-2012 02:48 AM

I want to bring it back to stock.. Did they repaint all chp cars? I thought maybe it was a CID car or other special unit.. I appreciate the help.. I should have it tommorow night!

chism 06-20-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullitt2001 (Post 34897)
I want to bring it back to stock.. Did they repaint all chp cars? I thought maybe it was a CID car or other special unit.. I appreciate the help.. I should have it tommorow night!

Yes, Texas repainted all their cars before sending them to auction too. Poke around the engine bay, door jams, and the underside of the rear decklid and you should see reminance of the old paint. The color on the shock towers should give you some clue to the original color. Another thing to look for is the speedo cluster. It should be a 160 mph unit and say "Certified Calibration" at the bottom of the guage.

Mustang Kid 06-20-2012 12:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that 88 still had a 140 certified speedometer.

CHP had most all their cars repainted various colors before sale. They would get more money out of the cars and CHP didn't want people driving around in black and whites. It's illegal, but if you cover the white doors, you can drive the car if you paint it back black and white.

mac88chp 06-20-2012 12:57 PM

The '88's had 140 speedos.

As far as we know, every CHP Mustang came from the factory painted B&W. The ones redone as SMPVs and investigation units received higher quality repaints. If the car was runout in B&W, it received the typical crappy repaint but not all were sold repainted. A number of them that had been held onto for a long time were sold "as is" with just the decals removed and maybe the doors rattle canned flat black. This included at least my car and another '88 assigned to the skidpan and both the '89 and '92 EVOC cars...all sold long after most all the rest of the Mustang fleet had departed.

Va 5.0 06-20-2012 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks alot like mine did! Look for holes in the passengers side front bumper cover for the siren. In the trunk to the right of the spare tire there is a metal bracket covering the fuel pump wires.