Thread: 1982 CHP #0327
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
0327 came home from the Differential Shop today. It has been making a lot of noise, especially from the driver's side of the rear axle. Sure enough, the axle bearing on that side was shot. The positraction unit was also worn out, no surprise there with the history of these units.

I thought about where to rebuild the stock rear axle, or get an 8.8. In the end, for the sake of originality, I had them rebuild it. New axle bearings, new axle shafts, new Posi. Drives great now and nice and quiet.

If I was doing anything high-performance with the vehicle, or modifying anything else, I would have gone with an 8.8.
That same bearing went bad on my car too but the rest of the rear was good to go. Who knows how much of it is still original.

Good decision on keeping things on yours to original spec. Once you are finished with your restoration and have spent all the time, effort and money on it, true performance driving will be the LAST thing on your mind. Take it from someone who's been there for the last eleven years - you'll be concentrating WAY more on avoiding rock/debris hits plus all the lousy and crazy drivers around you and on hoping your decades old ride will get you home at the end of the day without a breakdown.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/