View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks for asking Mike, 'cuz it made me update my SSP To-Do List.

Currently, the car is in the body shop after my neighbor backed into it. They agreed to pay for the repairs (it's great having cool neighbors!). I am having the body shop go over the paint to see if there are some areas needing to be touched up. I know it's not a show car, but I'd like for the body/paint to be as nice as reasonably possible.

Next up - correct wheels and caps. I have a set of four '85/'86 steel wheels in my garage with original Goodyear rubber. The tires would be better suited on a show car due to dry rot, so I will remove and keep the Goodyears, paint the wheels satin black (thanks Jim!), and remount my existing tires on the correct rims. I'm trying my darndest to get a set of correct '85 caps. I have a set of '86 caps, but only two are usable as-is. I have a line on two other sets of '85 caps (I'm high bidder currently on the ebay set). If worse comes to worse I will repair my two bad caps and repaint the set to look like '85 caps.

I'm a bit frustrated on my CHP equipment status. I have many authentic CHP pieces, but I've learned that in some cases they are incorrect for my vintage Mustang. Case in point - spotlights. My spotlights are single wire, but I recently learned that they used two wires to tie into the controls. My CC1 has a faceplate that differs from the original slightly. My CHP shotgun rack is for a later-version Mustang. So I've held off installing the equipment. But I think I will proceed with the equipment install when I get the car back from the body shop, and then replace the pieces I have with correct units as I find them.

In terms of the car itself, the compression is good on the engine, which I was told had been rebuilt as some time. But the engine compartment needs to be gone through and detailed. Underneath, the car has sloppy sub-frame connectors welded in that need to come out.

It's been a fun little car. During the winter I really miss driving it.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!