Thread: 1993 SSP
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 01:17 AM
'88 MA & '90 TX SSP's

First, regarding the '82, I give a lot of people credit over on the 4EP site... many expressed their opinions on how they would preserve this car, not make it "unstock", but once it is the new owner's car, it is theirs.

I just sold my '88 GT convertible a little while ago and I'm glad and sad. Glad because it went to a Mustang home, but sad that it getting a new custom treatment that I probably wouldn't like to have on a car I own myself. Needless to say, I got what I wanted out of the car, gave the new owner a good deal, and still made a good profit. I got what I wanted, he got what he wanted, and we were both happy. I'm sure David would not like to see his '82 dismantled, but I'm certain he understands why it is going to be and respects it.

As far as legal mumble-jumble (and please correct me if I'm wrong), I was taught that in general (no mention of individual state laws), If you have a price of $5K advertised and you agree to buy it for $5K, you are legally in a contract (verbal or written, dealer or private). Dealer "has to" follow certain things versus private has more "flex" room (which is why people can get away with not selling a car for a particular reason, right, wrong, or indifferent). Now if you advertise $5K and someone offers you $4K, than it is considered a counter-offer on the original offer. You can accept with the same terms or decline. If you want to get $4.5K, and you "submit" (not counter-offer) a new price of $4.5K to the potential buyer, you are entering a new contract, legally allowing you to change part or all of the original contract before presenting it to the potential buyer.

Now to protect yourself, you could advertise it for $10K, tell all the smelly-breath people you are firm, but if you find someone you like, tell them it is $5K. Every interested party who doesn't counter-offer from the original $10K contract, you make out like a bandit. The second a potential buyer counter-offers and you decline, you legally are making a new contract! I will admit that when people ask me how much I would sell my TX DPS for, I say $50K with a big smile! Why? I just don't want to sell it, but they asked! Now if I could only find the right smelly-breath person! (And yes, I love the smelly-breath example)!

Example:
When I sold my '88 GT, I wanted $X amount for it as-is with new wheels and tires. The new owner made me a counter offer of $Y amount. I declined. I "submitted" a new contract opportunity with him by stating that he could have it for $Y amount if he brought his own wheels and tires. He agreed and purchased the car. The first contract was voided, the second one was completed. While he was looking at the car, I told him that if he didn't buy it, I wasn't going to sell it. I'd sell one of my others instead, since it was a fun car! But since he was there, I didn't bail out of the initial offer. I thought it was ethical to go through with the offer and not have him drive up for nothing!

I think ethics are a big part in completing a successful sale. If you give the "my dog ate my homework" approach to not sell a car, it might work, but it is not ethical, and people remember that. Sorry for preaching the ethics approach, but if you say you are going to do something, do it. Don't bail out at the last moment "just because". Word of mouth is the fastest, most effective, and cheapest way to market. You might think that by selling a car, you are marketing and advertising it to interested parties, but in an essence, you are also marketing yourself. People will remember that!

My 2c. Sorry, I get long-winded every-so-often, more-often than not!
1989 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatch w/36K All Original
1989 Mustang GT Conv. RARE W/OUT FACTORY A/C
http://www.5pt0joe.com