Thread: 1982 CHP #0327
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 PM

Default 0327 Body Shop Update

I visited 0327 in the shop today. The front end and fenders have been removed (first pic below). Now I know why they like to take things apart there; removing all that skin metal enables inspection and cleaning. Removing the front end revealed two builder tags attached to the front top of the radiator support (last photo). They had the exact colors used.
Some old damage was found to the lower corner (passenger's side) of the radiator support; likely someone hit a high curb or something that was low enough not to damage the front end or bumper but high enough to catch the radiator support. It pushed the radiator support in a few inches, causing the plastic front end to not fit perfectly. The last two photos are of the hydraulic straightener tool in position after having straightened out the damage, which will then be cleaned, welded and painted.
Tomorrow I am going back to help vacuum, brush, and blow out the 35 years of dirt, leaves, and debris that have accumulated in all the nooks and crannies. Then wash and clean everything, after which it will be sandblasted where rusty then painted. Lots of work, but I think it will be worth it in the end. All of the removed hardware goes into a tumbler; when it comes out it looks like new. Details, details. But I think it is going to be worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Front View.JPEG (192.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg Front9.JPEG (88.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg Straightening front end.JPEG (324.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpeg Hydraulic tool.JPEG (1.11 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 0327 August 29 2017 004.JPG (200.4 KB, 31 views)