View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
No one here is trying to trash the event, but we are very careful about who we hang out with and how the SSP hobby is "promoted". Light shows, videos of staged pursuits, Mustangs with LED e-lighting on them, people parking in circles in parking lots (drinking) with lights flashing while drawing chalk outlines of bodies are all things that are not what I'd consider positive promotions of the hobby. If you know the PCOOA history and choose to hang out with them, good for you. If you know the history of how some members from ORG act at car shows and hang out with them, again, good for you. Personally, I choose not to associate myself or the hobby with some of the types of people you do. I also choose not to go to car shows with guys who are driving restored 2000-ish Crown Vics around. It's my personal choice, just as it is yours, and I'm apparently not alone. Many others here on NET and elsewhere feel the same way.
Mike, you bring up an interesting point. When I bought my SSP I never gave any thought to the responsibility involved with owning an old police car. Granted, my car is unmarked, but the antennea and lights (covered) still make my SSP identifiable as an old police car. Once the car was painted and outfitted, I quickly realized that I needed to carefully watch my driving habits. Obviously, I didn't want to be a speed demon to attract the attention of local cops, many of whom were just kids when SSP Mustangs were used by the Delaware State Police. I also recognized that I did not want to be perceived as an imposter by the police or other drivers. But I hadn't given ANY thought to the need to watch out for bad guys who might mistake me for a police officer. So now I'm careful about driving my car because of those factors.

I bring this up because I've come to realize that ALL of us in the SSP hobby need to act responsibly when taking our cars out in public. It would be a shame if the careless act(s) of a few ruined the fun for the rest of us.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!