View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Mike, you bring up an interesting point. When I bought my SSP I never gave any thought to the responsibility involved with owning an old police car. Granted, my car is unmarked, but the antennea and lights (covered) still make my SSP identifiable as an old police car. Once the car was painted and outfitted, I quickly realized that I needed to watch my driving habits. Obviously, I didn't want to be a speed demon to attract the attention of local cops, many of whom were just kids when SSP Mustangs were used by the Delaware State Police. I also recognized that I did not want to be perceived as an imposter by the police or other drivers. But I hadn't given ANY thought to the need to watch out for bad guys who might mistake me for a police officer. So now I'm careful about driving my car because of those factors.

I bring this up because I've come to realize that ALL of us in the SSP hobby need to act responsibly when taking our cars out in public. It would be a shame if the careless act(s) of a few ruined the fun for the rest of us.
Well said, and kudos to you as well. Many people in the hobby, who don't carry a gun and a badge (and have had some sort of training) don't realize that driving around in one of these cars can be dangerous. I don't have one finished yet, but I'd feel a little foolish driving around in a marked vehicle decked out for an agency that I don't work for anyway. I realize that not everyone can afford to trailer cars to events, but we are way overdue for some type of unfortunate incident to occur. I hope it never happens.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363