View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Mike, I hope that I am understanding your question as I type my reply. The rationale behind using AutoCheck (or other online methods) to confirm SSPs is flawed. Or perhaps a better word would be "imperfect". Let me explain.

If we look at the 1982 CHP notchbacks, we know with certainty the SSPs that are part of that VIN range. Using Marti Reports, we have confirmed the first and last VINs that were assigned in that DSO. We have verified the 1982 SSP notchbacks using photos and the California smog database. We can use AutoCheck reports to help document those remaining cars whose VINs are not activated because we are 100% certain the CHP ordered and used these cars.

But what about other batches with confirmed SSPs? On many of the FHP cars, we were able to confirm VINs as SSPs through pictures, auction paperwork, and Florida's DMV website. However, there are instances where we found DMV information for cars in the same batch that were not sandwiched between confirmed SSPs, and we haven't confirmed the DSO to match it to the FHP. Those SSPs are listed as "unconfirmed", in terms of agency use.

We all know of those 1988 SSPs which were extra cars not used by the OSP, with most of the N-I-S cars being sold to Saleen for conversion. If we order Marti Reports, we could establish a VIN range and use AutoCheck to confirm the ones in-between as SSPs. But which ones were used by the OSP, and which ones were not? It's not clear. Yes, they are all SSPs, but we cannot ID how they were used.

Then there's some of the 1993 South Carolina SSPs like this one...

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info210439.htm

...which were ordered but never put into service. Yes, we are able to ID this car as Never-In-Service, but we cannot ID the rest of the cars in the batch (in terms of use), even if we confirm the beginning and ending VINs in the DSO.

Does that answer your question?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!