View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
Great work. I'm learning as I keep up with the VIN project reading, so I only pose this question to better educate myself. When you refer to a VIN range, can it be said for certain cars in that range are SSPs? Or is this just merely one more "check list item", or an "SSP confimation method" if you will, that folks can use as they try and verify cars believed as SSPs and maybe missing door sticker, buck tags, etc.? Thanks for helping educate me on this one.
Mike,

To follow-up on what Bill said:

We know, from auction records, that the SSPs were batch-produced with consecutive VIN numbers assigned to the order (DSO). So if agency "X" ordered 10 Mustangs, they would have been assigned (usually) consecutive VINs, ie. 100001 through 100009 (last 6). In this example, if we have a confirmed SSP with the VIN 100005, and the list of consecutive VINs around 0005 only shows a block of 10, it's a pretty safe bet that we've identified the other 9. Conversely, the list might show more than 10 grouped together, which then requires more work to determine where the 10 fall, ie. a group of 40 consecutive VINS, where Agency "X" ordered 10, Agency "Y" ordered 25, and Agency "Z" ordered 5.

Does that help?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363