View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Default This 88-0393 sale

This info is for anyone that still reads this post. Sorry that it took so long for me to find it but I'm the guy that posted the ad and sold this car. I actually had a person call me this week after reading this thread, wanting to know if I still had it for sale (3 years later). Here is the info about that sale.

I owned that car for a long time and it sat for several years waiting for restoration. I never had the time and decided to try to sell it. I put it up on Craigslist in Portland,OR and was not expecting many responses. I figured it would be burried and off of the page in a few hours.

In less than 24 hours I had 62 replies, about 1/2 by phone and the other 1/2 by email. The first appointment was for a Saleen club president from Seattle to come down the following day. I stuck to that appointment since he was driving so far. That pissed a lot of people off since they claimed to be able to beat him to my doorstep, which wouldn't have been right. There were so many calls and e-mails that I couldn't get to them all and each one that I did contact got bent out of shape when I didn't cave to their pressure.

The 1st appointment came and went and the Saleen president passed on buying it at $2,500. He said over and over that he was going to kick himself once he left but he let it slip away. The flood of replies and arguing with people was too much so I had to pull it down. There was no way of selling it without being the bad guy so I announced that it would go up on eBay to make things fair and give everyone a shot. I started it at $2500 and got out of the way.

The pissed off Craigslist hoard flagged the ad as quick as they could and ditched my announcement of placing it on eBay. I didn't pull it down the 2nd time, the flaggers did to get even and my explanation was short lived.

In the end, eBay was the only fair way to let people have a chance at buying it. The Craigslist callers were trying to outbid others anyway by offering "$3,000? $3,500?". It was absolutely crazy and I ended up with a lot of flak. I got over $7K for the car and it went to a Ford enthusiast family from Medford, OR. They sent pictures earlier this year and it has been restored to the last piece.

I've owned 2 other Saleens and now have an 09 Shelby GT500. Mustangs rule! If you were one of those people that replied to my ad and I couldn't get back to you, now you know what happened. Sorry.