View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Newbie from socal here with an 86 chips ssp

Hello all!!!! I've been DYING to have a reason to sign up for an ssp board, and now I have one. A little history first. 3 years back, give or take, I found an 88 5.0 coupe for sale wrecked....$425 later it was at my place for a parts car. it was slammed pretty hard in the nose.

well, it didn't take long to unearth the fact that it was an x chp car. I got all excited and fell in love with the car. Sadly I would never have the money to fix the damage. Well, rather than send it to the junkyard, I let it sit in my garage a good 6 months or more trying to find an owner for the shell. I finally did, and a guy from maybe missouri drove about 1800 miles one way just to pick up the shell and what was left (all the good body parts, motor etc) He had 10 other ssp cars, and told me as long as it didn't fall apart on the frame machine from rust, he could fix it. Well, I never talked to him again (maybe he's a member here?) but hopefully it's been fixed by now.

Anyhow, since then, I got a crush on ssp cars, and have wanted one BAD.

fast forward to this week. I get an email from my brother pointing to a website pointing to a craigslist ad that had an 86 chp ssp coupe for $1200!!!!! No way it was there still, but I emailed him. Found out, he was filtering emails, and picked me for the right guy, as I knew the talk, and promised preservation and a good home.

I drove to LA, and what I found blew me away. For $1200 it was a perfect running notch. the original motor blew, but it had a low mile 93 5.0 in it. it runs and drives perfect. New hd radiator, water pump, gas pump, alum driveshaft, tires, etc etc. turn key car, never been wrecked.

He gave me $20 back for gas, and $1180 later I was on my way home with a foureyed ssp. I couldn't be more thrilled.

Sadly, i'm still restoring/modifying my 86 mustang convertible, and 72 maverick, and my bro is finishing his 86 ttop mustang, so I don't have the space to go all out on this just yet. In the mean time, my father will be taking care of it, and driving it once or twice a week. While he does that, I'll be able to junkyard hunt, and find all the original tan pieces, whatever the car needs.

Long term goal is to try and restore it back to factory ssp specs as closely as I can, right down to the paint.

Front shot

rear

Here is the bondo spot in the dr side rear quarter where the police antenna was mounted