View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

I spoke over the telephone with the seller.

According to the seller, the car has a Colorado title issued when he lived in Colorado. He claims he purchased the car when he lived in Colorado for 7 years. He purchased the car from a gentleman who was the 3rd owner. The seller lived in Colorado until 1996 when he moved back home to NY. I now find the Colorado title interesting since Carfax show registrations from 1996 to 2005 in NY. The car failed inspection due to a missing wiper arm. The seller did not register the car since that time.

I spoke with the seller about the title issue. He says that he registered the car in NY when he moved back to NY. He says that the car has always had a Colorado title since he purchased the car in Durango Colorado. He says NY allowed him to register the car with a Colorado title still in force since the Colorado title was in his name and NY DMV did not require him to get a NY title even though he had NY plates and registration. I doubt that very much based upon my professional experience but you never know! NY requires titles on cars made after 1973 and I doubt that you can repeatedly register a car in NY state and still maintain an out of state title. As a licensed motor vehicle dealer myself, I have a "little" knowledge of title and registration requirements in my states and other states. If he can register the car in NY and maintain a Colorado title, that would be a new one on me!

Some states do not collect the old title when registering a car in a new state so this results in me wanting answers to several questions. Is there a problem with the current NY title he "may" or "may not" have? Was there ever a NY title? One would "think" there must have been a NY title since the car was registered repeatedly in NY. Given the Carfax information provided above I think the seller will have many more questions to answer about the current or legal title to this car before I will bid.

He says he did not drive during the Winter in NY so there is no rust according to him.

Per my inquiries, the seller says he will check with NY DMV on Monday about the title issue. I will be speaking with him then. Until that time I am hesitant to bid on a vehicle that "MAY" have a potential title problem!