View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP8336 View Post
Before I responded to this I went to my local CHP office today and asked the sargent about this Rumor. The sargent said that as long as the car is not driven on any public roads you can do anything you wish to replacate any police vechicle. My car will be restored to in service look so I did not go into the laws re driving your cars to a show etc etc. I just wanted everyone to know that it is pure BS that your car can be impounded for looking like a CHP car.

RICH
To further clarify the above, restored and replica police vehicles ARE currently being permitted to operate on public roads in California if they comply with the conditions listed earlier (covered lights & decals, "not in service" signage displayed, etc.) and are operated in a responsible manner. Some are also being permitted by the CVC section regarding "movie cars." However, this is not to be confused with the issue of scrutiny, which they all receive in varying degrees depending on the area, the circumstances and the personnel involved.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/