Thread: 1982 CHP #0327
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 PM

Default 0327 Goes to the Shop

Today at 0900 0327 went into the shop for a thorough tune-up, smog check, and new rear wheel bearings. Which isn't news as I have been talking about it for the last few weeks. But it does have a story associated, that I think might be of amusement to SSP enthusiasts.

The car was checked in by one of the founders, who is close to retirement, and is somewhat a curmudgeon. All the personality of a fence post. Perhaps all the years of doing mundane, monotonous work on grocery-getters has dulled his senses and although he doesn't do the work any more, you'd think something out of the ordinary would get his attention, generate a spark of enthusiasm. Nope. He goes out to get the mileage and VIN for the shop order. 0327's interior is out and only the driver's seat is installed. I had told him at the start the veh. was in the process of being restored (so no comments about the interior or any other part are necessary).

He writes down the info, then says "You want to restore this thing?" "Yes", I replied. it's a former CHP patrol car. "So what?" he fires back, demonstrating complete lack of knowledge, understanding, and interest. 'There's an entire hobby devoted to restoring and collecting these cars" I informed him. " He shook his head, smiled slightly, then said "Well...congratulations" then shook his head some more. Too bad this guy doesn't own a tow yard full of SSPs and says to me "I just want them out of here".

Some people will never get it...and don't want to.

Meanwhile, I modified 0327's extender roof-mount antenna cable by removing the coax connector and replacing it with one compatible with the input jack to the Regency scanner.

The now-working CC1 and MPA2 and their new cable are waiting patiently to be installed once 0327 comes back from the shop.