Thread: Rarest SSPs?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger View Post
Rare does not constitute desirable. There are many "rare" SSP's. But, how many of us are climbing over each other to get to a Wildlife & Fisheries SSP or even one of the less flamboyant marked units. Everyone gravitates to 2-tone 5-speeds, and that's just how it is going to be. Visibility will be what will drive values. A plain white SSP will always be worth less than a vibrant Georgia SSP, in equal condition. I agree that the 4-eyed will drive values with true collectors. It is also occurring in the Saleen market. Early Saleens were less on content, but high on heritage. 4-eyed cars have become coveted by those in the know.
I agree with almost all of that statement.

I know the dealers all like the two tone five speed cars but there is a specific purpose there (resale). These cars scream "cop" and some people like to feel included in the persona/profession surrounding the cars. Not "everyone" gravitates toward 2 tone 5 speed cars supported by the fact that multitudes of people own one color, auto trans cars. For me personally I think the North Carolina black/silver combo with red interior is as good a color as you can get but that is just my opinion. There are a ton of agencies that did not have a bunch of cars and you are correct, nobody is rushing to buy a fish and wildlife car, but while some may gravitate towards the flashy, totally cop, looking GSP car, the collector will recognise that lower numbers have ALWAYS meant more $$$ in the long run. This computes to the four-eyed theory holding true.

I saw pictures of a car show where there were 11 marked FHP cars. That is one of the reasons my collection has gone in the direction it has. I wanted a collection of cars that were not all common. The big four Florida, Texas, California and Georgia will all be in the group for me, but I have also tried to find some of the rarer (less numbers of) cars like Idaho, Michigan, Colorado, Washington, Oregon. I would be estatic to find a Minnesota, Wyoming. Canadian, New York, Deleware, etc for my collection. It is a whole different deal for me as I plan to own the bakers dozen. If I was only going to own one car I would pass on the big four every time and look for a less used car.
I think the biggest reason so many people buy a 2 tone 5 speed car from the big four is because the big four used so many and you can find one for sale 24/7. Right now I know of at least two cars from each state in the big four that are for sale.

Regardless.....I have my opinions and theorys, as does everyone else. When I am 80 years old and selling the "set" at Barrett Jackass's auction for 1.4 million dollars I will have a smile on my face. (that is intended as a joke fellas.)

anyone got a Wyoming car they wanna sell me??

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP