View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post

"There was also word going around that if an on duty CHP officer was at an event ( parade , car show, safety fair etc.) he or she has the power to cite or impound the vehicle, if the owner could not produce documentation showing that CHP sanctioned the vehicle restoration or replication."

Any LE officer in CA, not just CHP, has the power to investigate any vehicle that appears to be out of compliance with any of the existing CA vehicle codes surrounding emergency vehicles and related equipment and they can do it anytime, not just at an event. I know this firsthand as I've been pulled over on the highway in my sanctioned restoration on several occasions.

To date, I haven't heard of or witnessed any systematic crackdowns by the CHP at events or even on the road for that matter. So far, as long as hobbists have been following the generally accepted methods of keeping in compliance with the CVC (covering lights & decals, displaying appropriate "not in service" signage, etc) and in general keeping a low profile, there has not been any major problem out here.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.