Thread: 82 CHP #1963
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
**No Longer a Registered Member**

I just talked to the original purchaser of the car from the CHP auction. He purchased this car from the CHP in Sacremento. The car was purchased for his daughter as her second car when she was in college. I will be talking with her tonight when she returns home. They tell me they still have the original sales invoice for the car from the CHP auction and will look for that. They also are looking for pictures of the car after their purchase. The car had the rollcage, spot lights, siren and other parts still on the car when they purchased the car. The decals, radio, radio rack and rear lights had already been removed from the car. The spotlights also had clear lenses in both lights when they purchased the car from the CHP. They also gave me a lot of history about the car since their purchase and history they were told about the car by the sergeants when his wife and daughter picked up the car in Sacremento after the auction. They were specifically told that this was the CHP prototype Mustang. True or not true that's what the original purchaser has said. If they can find the invoice that should tell the tale with the unit number and more information. He said the car was very low mileage, in good condition and ran very well. The car was black/white. Their was and still is an antennae plug for a low band antennae on the right rear quarter panel, not the left. The cage was in the car along with the aluminum plate over the rear bulkhead. The car has steel wheels with dog dish caps. With the exception of the original wheels which the 16 year old kid replaced with cheap mags and black primer paint on the lower part of the car, the car is very much just like is was purchased from the CHP.

The original purchaser, her father, worked for Socal Automotive which he said had a contract with the CHP to service their vehicles. Because of that contract he was also privy to cars coming up for auction. He specifically bid on this car to give to his 21 year old daughter for her second car. They won and this became her second car. She drove the car for years and took the car to Colorado when she moved. She eventually "gave" the car to a 16 year old kid across the street from her in Colorado Springs. The current seller bought the car from that kid 10 years ago.

Additional information as I am halfway through writing this post!

Just got off the phone with the daughter who got the car. She tells me the car had the decals removed and the doors painted black when she got the car. She remembers vividly that the car had 10,006 miles when she got the car in 1985. She still has pictures of when she picked up the car with the CHP sergeants handing her the keys and of the car. She will look for those. She also has the original invoice from their purchase from the CHP somewhere! She says the officers told her and her mother at the time they picked the car up from the CHP that the car was the original prototype Mustang for the CHP and was low miles because the car was trailered around the state for show and demonstration. The officers also told her that the car was also sent to the Michigan State Police Trials for evaluation in their police car trials and then returned to California. The trials is where the car "kissed" the wall as she says during high speed evaluation. She "gave" the car to her 16 year old neighbor who helped her for over a year to earn the car while her husband was on a job assignment out of state and she needed help with snow removal, yard care and house maintainance. The car had about 53,000 miles at that time in 1997. The second owner got the car in 1997. The second owner graduated high school and the car was sold to the 3rd owner (current seller) in 1998. All of these people still know each other and still reside in Colorado.

She provided a lot of other information and history about what she and her mother were told when they picked up the car from the CHP and the cars history since that time. She will look for pictures and paperwork on the car.

Still no definitive documentation as to the specific unit number and use other than the number in the door jamb but there is lot's of owner information available since all the people involved in ownership since the CHP are alive and well. I will know more when the car arrives in Nashville and I can go over the car closely.

More to come!

More to come!