View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:04 PM
...Gathering Parts

My question would be: Have you driven any of these cars?

It seems like you are looking on paper if I'm reading what you are saying correctly. I have seen the actual test sequences for the Interceptor during it's development phases in person. The AWD in any of the Interceptor models is very predictable in handling and is well balanced when I drove it. The twin turbo being the real scorcher of a car to add to the amazing handling. I am well trained in the use of the FWD vehicles (as well as RWD) for over 25 years so the FWD Interceptor feels intuitive to me but I don't think would feel the same for an officer coming out of a CVPI to one of these unless it was AWD.

I have driven the 2012 Charger as well as previous models of the Charger as far back as 2006 and they are consistent in their brawn and drive ability but not in their reliability area typically. I have seen too many issues with the V8 in driving characteristics from it being too powerful for most driver's abilities. I do not have a complete feel yet on the 2012 but it has some really nice features but at the CPD they are strictly using the V6 model which is adequate for most city activity from what I've seen and what I've been told by officers assigned to those units. CPD will be going to the Fords next year per the Chief.

I have only one opinion on the Chevy is in equipment placement issues as that is the only thing that I've been able to personally see on this car and I have not been able to drive one yet to give an opinion.

Unfortunately, I have to say that departments are falling well short in the EVOC and driver training area so I venture a guess that officer's reaction especially to any FWD vehicle is due to not being properly trained or retrained in driving the new vehicles. I think this is the key item in changing up in any of these vehicles regardless of drive train configuration.