View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
That car's going to to be a great project. When does it arrive and what are the plans for your current SSP?
Now that I have the title, I will be making arrangements with a transportation company to have the car shipped back to Delaware. In terms of #E408395 (my first SSP), I will be putting it up for sale at some point in the future. I have had a discussion with a member here who is interested in buying the car, but I need to button up a few things first before it is ready to sell.

BTW, the two Senator Ford license plate frames arrived. The chrome looks fine, but the raised lettering and recessed areas will need to be painted. I bought two because for all I know they put the frames on the back too.

HOT OFF THE PRESS!
Jack, aka Va 5.0, has uncovered some EXCELLENT information on the 1987 SMPV pilot program. Jack obtained an 80-page report from 1988 to the California State Legislature about the SMPV program, as found here:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publicatio...aspx?ID=117995

Jack just received his copy, and will be sending me a photocopy of the report, which I will scan and put up here. Jack summarized the information as follows:

Quote:
17 total SMPV's in the pilot program (15 allocated with 2 Diplomats as spares)

Jan 12, 1987 - Dec 31, 1987 pilot project ran.

cars brought in for conversion from regular B/W units averaged 44,000 miles

SMPV had 4.5 inch spotlights
3 rear shelf lights Bac-off flashing lights
used antenna (reg radio as the whip antenna)
All pilot mustangs were 1985's

Golden Gate DIV: Hayward had (1) 1985 white mustang
Central DIV: Merced had (1) 1985 silver met mustang [assuming this would be 408445]
Central Southern DIV: Fort Tejon had (1) 1985 white mustang [my guess is your car]
Border DIV: Westminister had (2) 1985 mustangs both white

Of the cars pictured, the only tag visible is 408445...
How cool is that!?!?!?!?! I will have to dig deeper to find out more info on the Bac-Off flashing lights, which appear to have been halogen lights in the 1980s for use on motorcycles.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!