Thread: SMPV Mustangs?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 AM

Wow Mike - thanks for the detailed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
So far, not one confirmed survivor of any year has been located by anyone in the hobby.
Hypothetically speaking, how would one go about trying to confirm if their 85 CHP was one of the units made into a SMPV? The reason I ask is because I found something out about my car. Some time after it was marked as a black and white, the body (but not the doors) was painted silver. A subsequent paint job made the entire car (including door jams) dark "Toyota" gray.

This morning, in the doorjam, I used a pocket knife to pull off a small area of the top coat of paint. Although the revealed color was black, the underside of the dark gray paint chip I had stuck on the knife was SILVER! Also, the plastic push button door striker is painted silver, having not been masked off when painted silver (but covered up when the dark gray paint was applied). I also found a paint chip in the rocker panel, which revealed silver paint. However, the silver was not found on the doors under the gray paint.

So now you've got me thinking about this car in a whole new way. If it is indeed a SMPV, then how do I proceed with it? How can I verify its authenticity? I was only planning to rebuild it as an unmarked daily driver, but that may not be the best plan of action for this car. Frankly, I hadn't had any desire to own a marked SSP, but this car MAY be a SMPV. If it is, then it deserves to be restored. If so, then am I the one to do it, or would I be better selling/swapping the car with another SSP enthusiast who would restore the car properly.

I'm kinda at a loss at this point. Any advice?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!