Thread: SMPV Mustangs?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Bill - did you check both doors and the roof for the paint layer composition? I'd also take a close look at the interior for any unusual equipment mounting holes, esp. around the transmission tunnel area as that is where the lay-down shotgun rack was installed. That means removing most of the interior to do it right and hopefully that's in your plans anyway.

What you found so far is intriguing but not really conclusive of an SMPV pedigree. That can really only be verified by either CHP documents or in-service photographs and the CHP has told us that records for vehicles this old have been disposed of and very few in-service photos of SMPVs exist. It is still possible that a photo of your car may surface in the future but in the absence of the above type of proof, your car is probably not worth any more than a normal '85 CHP to a hobbyist.

As to how to proceed, I'd personally hold off on making any firm restoration plans until you have a chance to poke around the car for more clues. In the meanwhile, I'll try yet again to drum up photos of any SMPV Mustangs.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/