View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
The numbers were above the sticker on some, and below on others. Did you only check the top?

You just have to pull pretty good on the seat bottom (at the rear, where the lower cushion meets the upper, then up towards the front seats)....it's a friction fit. The rear seatback should have a couple of bolts holding it down, then it goes straight up.
I only checked above the door sticker. I'll try lifting the paint below it too and see if I can find anything looking like the remnants of painted numbers. Given how smooth the topcoat looks, I don't think I'll find anything underneath but we'll see.

Ahh, you yank from the back of the seat cushion! That made a big difference. Just as I suspected, the back seats are not original to the car either.

This SSP reminds me of an old hot rod, being cobbled together with parts from different cars:
  • The original 15x7 steel spare tire I have will not fit over the front hubs because the brakes have been upgraded. Paperwork from the seller says they are SVO brakes, but the hubs are 4-lug. So what brakes do I have that are larger than the stock 85 brakes?
  • The 8.8" rear-end with disc brakes also are said to be from an SVO, but they too are 4-lug. Judging by how the tires fit in the wheelwell, it doesn't appear to be the wider Turbo Coupe rear-end. So what 8.8" Fox rear came with disc brakes?
  • The front-end body work shows no signs of having a hole for a front speaker. May not be original to the car as a result of a prior accident (post-auction).

I know I'll find more "irregularities" as I dive deeper into the car. I'm by no means frustrated at all. It's all part of the car's past, and as the current owner it's my job to sort it all out.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!