Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 AM

Default New from Vancouver, B.C.

Hi Everyone, excited to have found this forum and it has already been a huge help in figuring out that I recently bought an ssp mustang. I'm hoping I can learn more about the car and have it included in the registry.

When I was younger my uncle had bought a new mustang back in 87 or 88, it was a blue notch back with gray interceptor decals on the lower doors. I loved the car and to this day had always wanted one. I came across an ad on the local craigslist for an 89 interceptor, ex U.S. police car, I called the guy and arranged to see it. The car was pretty rough but it appeared to have been a real ex police car, the guy had bought it off a fellow he worked with a couple of years ago and was going to swap the drive train out of it into a cleaner body. He never got around to doing it and too many projects led him to putting it up for sale. I figured it was a U.S. car because the speedo was in MPH and I didn't know anything about ssp mustangs. I made a deal with the guy and towed it home.

Once home I started to look a little closer, it was pretty rough and I think it was kind of an impulse buy as I might have been a bit blinded by the thought of finally finding an interceptor mustang, that's when I googled police mustang and found this site, I had taken a picture of the door tag and was able to confirm the DSO was 6 digits, it was very exciting to see that it might be something special. It wasn't long after that I looked at the papers the guy gave me and the VIN# didn't match the number on the door tag. I ran back outside to double check things and it appears the door had been changed at some point. I still thought it was probably an ex police car but without the DSO i thought it would be hard to confirm. Then I found the info about the buck tags, another run outside and bingo, I could just make out RCMP CANADA on the tag and a DSO number was also there. This was very exciting, it was an actual ex RCMP car, I still don't know why it has a speedo in MPH but i figure there wasn't much of a market for Canadian ssp's so they came with the MPH speedos not being economical enough for KPH speedos to be made and calibrated?

Anyhow that's my find, from what I've read there may have only been 4 89's ordered by the RCMP and I see there are 2 aleady on the registry. Not sure if mine is the 3rd and the door on my car that has a 6 digit DSO may have come off the 4th car, or just special ordered car. Any info or help in decoding exactly what I have would be much appreciated. I plan to restore the car back to better condition, I still need to pull the headlamp to get a better look at the buck tags but I just picked up a 4 cyl parts car and since this is my first mustang I figured I learn how they come apart on the parts car first. On with the pics...
Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 AM

Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 AM

Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 AM

John, first off welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the story and pictures of your SSP Mustang. I love it when a car turns up like yours and the Buck Tags clearly show the agency and SSP option. There are not many R.C.M.P. SSPs out there. I added your car's pictures to our VIN Project, as seen here

I recommend that you look into buying a Marti Report...

https://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm

...which will list the options for your car and determine the DSO number (unless you can read it clearly on the Buck Tag). You can also buy a replacement door VIN sticker for your car from Marti.

It's pretty cool that the replacement door on your car may have come from a SSP (based upon its 6-digit DSO). That car is the last of 3 consecutive VINs. I will add that VIN from your door to our list of cars where we want to run Marti Reports to determine if the donor car was a SSP.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Welcome to the site! You have an interesting car. You even have the correct tail lights (in the trunk). Your car has the 25th anniversary badge on the dash too, but they did not install those at the factory until April 1989 (your data sticker has the manufacture date of 2/89). Good luck with your restoration.

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
2018 2.7 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercrew
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM

welcome to the site! That's so cool! A Canadian SSP just sounds awesome! I love the color too! Can't wait to see update pics as your car comes along. Good luck!
#200882 unit# M9166- SOLD
Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Welcome to the club from a fellow Canadian, eh!
2008 P71
Old 07-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Resident Geezer

Welcome aboard!

Did everyone notice that this is a "Three" tag car? The spare is a special "Winter" Gator as well. Very interesting and a great place to start!

'89 FHP Unit # 435 (Deceased)
'89 FHP Unit # 1526 Troop H (Madison)SOLD 12/3/13
'89 SCHP Marked Unit # 2-12-80 SOLD 6/21/15
'88 SCHP Unmarked Unit # 2-12-23 SOLD 9/3/12
'90 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642-HP SOLD 12/17/11
'88 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642
Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Resident Geezer

Just remembered seeing photos of RCMP in a wrecking yard with three Buc Tags. The middle tag had "Road Abrasion" stamped on it to indicate the application of protective coating on the lower portion of the body.

When you get a chance could you check that tag to see how yours is stamped?

'89 FHP Unit # 435 (Deceased)
'89 FHP Unit # 1526 Troop H (Madison)SOLD 12/3/13
'89 SCHP Marked Unit # 2-12-80 SOLD 6/21/15
'88 SCHP Unmarked Unit # 2-12-23 SOLD 9/3/12
'90 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642-HP SOLD 12/17/11
'88 MSHP Marked Unit # P-162 Plate # 642
Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Very cool story! And welcome You should fit right in here

I bet you were quite surprised that the car you bought wasn't actually an American used car, but a Canadian!

You may think the car is rough, but to me, that is a very nice starting point. Much better than some other cars we've seen.

Are you going to restore it back to inservice condition? Or to driver condtion?

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs