Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNODRAMANOTCH View Post
To each his own.

I agree with that. I like them original. If I didn't like the beehives I wouldn't keep/buy the car.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
I agree with that. I like them original. If I didn't like the beehives I wouldn't keep/buy the car.
I don't. If someone wants to make a "fantasy" car or "clone", there are literally thousands of cars to choose from to do so. I don't have a problem, like Exdramanotch said, as long as it isn't passed off as something it isn't. However, to take a rare car, such as the CSP or NCHP mentioned in the thread, and clone it into something else destroys a little bit of the car's history (and identity).

Like you said, Jim. Buy what you want in the first place. Or, take one of the hundreds of non-SSP cars and make what you want.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM

I agree with "to each their own" meaning it is their car and therefore they can do what they want with it. That does not mean I agree with what is actually done to the car. I see no purpose in cloning a car and turning it into something it wasn't. I personaly would get no satisfaction or enjoyment because in the back of my mind I would always know it is a fake. I would feel even worse knowing I took a rare SSP car and made something else out of it. But that is just my opinion.......and others think otherwise.

On the other hand, I would love to have a 66 GT 350, but I would want a clone so I could drive the crap outa it and not worry about how much it was worth. But I would NEVER take an original 66 GT 350 that was red with a four speed, and make it blue with an automatic.... Does any of this make sense????

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM
It is what it is.

Regardless of what the car has been painted, it can always be painted back. 10 years from now someone else may own it and take it back to it's original agency...and this thread has added to the SSP's history. For what little time I have been involved in the SSP world I find each SSP story intresting. How one year a car shows up for sale, is purchased, restored or whatever, sold again, and somehow because of dedicated people keeping track of the history, a new owner can be informed of what all his/her new SSP has been threw. That car will now always be remembered as being a rare NC car, transformed into a CHP, and so on.

As long as it does not get mini-tubbed, cut up, caged, or whatever else one can do to race one does it matter? Like the owner stated, he did save it from being a ghetto sled so we should take some satisfaction in that. (IMO)

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 PM

As much as I'm in favor of folks adding their own "flavor" to car car, I have to agree with everything Mike & Jim have said up above. While it's true a car can always be repainted and returned to what it originally was (NCHP in case of most of this discussion), I would have concern that won't happen given the amount of time and/or $$$ that will go into this project now and the additional time/$$$ that would be involved later in returning car back to original an NCHP. For instance unless you have all the talent to do the paint yourself, having car stripped and repainted - and done right - is expensive endeavor...as I can attest since I'm going through it with my 93 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP. Either way the owners own decision but since topic was raised just adding my $0.02.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatte5 View Post
As much as I'm in favor of folks adding their own "flavor" to car car, I have to agree with everything Mike & Jim have said up above. While it's true a car can always be repainted and returned to what it originally was (NCHP in case of most of this discussion), I would have concern that won't happen given the amount of time and/or $$$ that will go into this project now and the additional time/$$$ that would be involved later in returning car back to original an NCHP. For instance unless you have all the talent to do the paint yourself, having car stripped and repainted - and done right - is expensive endeavor...as I can attest since I'm going through it with my 93 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP. Either way the owners own decision but since topic was raised just adding my $0.02.
Great point. Why spend time/money cloning a rarer car into a more common version? This makes no sense to me as good, fairly priced CHP resto candidates are relatively plentiful and if one wants a car from that agency, they should start with the correct base material and spend their resources making something that is authentic, considerably more desirable and most importantly will retain it's value. This is Car Restoration 101 stuff and it applies to SSPs too.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 PM

I think if you're going to go through the trouble of cloning a ssp. Buy one of the more widely used agencies like FHP or CHP. Then go from there, with whatever you please. There are plenty of them to go around. Except for the 4-eyes, don't touch those.

While the topic has gone off from what the OP asked. A FL Marine car would be cool or a Fire one.
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Default "we Have To Talk" don't you just hate when they say that?

knowing what I know now I would have left it a NC, I dont have alot of money into this car (less than 2K) the paint job was a barter deal. I dont plan on reselling the car as I have had 1357 since 97' and I bought her from an FHP auction for 4700.00, I put steelies on her in 97 when they were $50 NIB and guys used to scrap them.
I got no cooperation from NCHP but, I was able to aquire Vitachrome CHP decals in a one time, dont ever ask me again deal, I will keep trying to collect NCHP stuff as it comes around if Im lucky, lately Ive have luck finding HTF CHP epuipment instead, my painter works for an aircraft retrofitter and works for my brother on the side so, paint is not an issue. I appreciate and respect all your comments. Im glad we can all have a good discusion among friends who love our ssp's. On the issue of "rare" a frind of mine bought a rolling chassis for a drag car project for a couple hundred buck, I went to look at it and it is a former (Florida)Seminole County Sheriffs Office Patrol car, other than a pic of a SCSO Caprice Marco sent me we dont have a pic of an in-service SCSO SSP, if anyone can help. He intends to repaint it SCSO green and white, there is some evidence of the old sceme

John Costa
1993 EX-FHP #1357
1991 NCHP #91-1212
2005 GT UNMARKED
www.photobucket.com/johnsrides
Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Default latest pics of the Clown

I picked up some mouldings and weather strip and nick nacks from the great guys at FMR, they hooked me up with 10% off too, I got the FS Signal masters today, they're just sitting there for the pic, not mounted or wired, I need to paint the door frames flat black a,d Im working on getting the trunk decals, does anyone know the correct color for the vinyl??

DSC_0044a.JPG

DSC_0043a.JPG

John Costa
1993 EX-FHP #1357
1991 NCHP #91-1212
2005 GT UNMARKED
www.photobucket.com/johnsrides
Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 PM

That looks good.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641