Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:58 PM
UASSP

Display of our cars several years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-Summer2004006.jpg (147.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaspony87 View Post
O.k. I didn't realize all that was needed Dave lives here in Michigan. I'll ask him to contact you. We found the car in PA. and I went with him to purchase it way back when. I always liked the car and I know he was sorry to have sold it but was happy it went back to Mike C. Take care Eric.
Joe...."way back when"......means way back when these cars were just taking off and there was what.....about 20 of us interested in them??

thats back when I didn't have quite as much gray hair too !!!

I need to get to Michigan sooooon before it is too late. What does september look like for you??

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 08-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Default My Old Car....

Eric,

I am sad to see that Mike sold the car, but I am glad to see that you have it and I know it will be taken care of. It is kind of like giving away a puppy, you miss it like crazy, but rest easy knowing it is at a good home...

As far as some of the things that need work, I will try and post what I know.

All of the Engine / Performance mods must have happened after I owned it. When I had it the car was all stock to my knowledge. I am no expert in the mechanics of the internal combustion engine, but from what I was told it was stock.

Most of the equipment I installed in the car was in fact "for display only". I tried to get as close to accurate as I could find, but it sounds like I fell WAY SHORT on that task. I used some old MOHP pictures and information, but I guess some of my information was bad. The good thing was that I never drilled ANY additional holes in the car interior to get the equipment installed. Some of the things may have not been put in the EXACT location, but I got as close as I could to the exact location of things without having to drill. As far as the antennas I am surprised to hear something is wrong. I used pictures that Mike had when it was in-service and spent countless hours trying to find those that matched the photos. A couple of guys from the MOHP Garage looked over the set-up and said it looked good.

Bruce H. and I wired the car the way we did for several reasons. At the time we were having a HUGE problem here in MI with Police Impersonators and such. I work in Law Enforcement, but I obviously still have to comply with the regulations surrounding privately owned emergency vehicles. Everything was wired to that board in the trunk so that the main switch could be shut off and none of the switches on the control box had power. That way I could never be blamed for using the wig-wags, etc... while in transit. The lightbar quick connect was installed also so that I could take it off and not have to deal with those issues while in transit as well. It was a great set-up and the wiring job by Bruce H. was awesome.

The body shop I went to did do a pretty good job. It was certainly not a perfect job, but I was happy with it. I did a lot of the prep-work myself so I could say I had a hand in it.

Anway, I am glad you are going to do the car right! I just couldn't find some of the exact equipment and got as close as I could. I thought I had done a good job with it, but after reading your post I am embarrased that I even showed it in that condition! Maybe it is a good thing I got out of the hobby

Dave C.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Additional....

Eric,

I thought of a couple more things when I read your post again...

The drivers seat has already been rebuilt once. At least the foam and such. The springs probably need some attention and the fabric was on the edge of needing replacement when I had it. It wasn't to that point yet, but it sounds like it is now.

As I stated before, it was a car for display, not for set up to be a functioning police car. The important parts for display worked as they should have, but no essential things such as radar, High-band, low-band, etc... were not wired and functional because there was no need for that.

Anyway, I hope that helps with some quesions you may have. I hope Mike gave you the 3-ring Binder of documentation that I had for the car.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993SSP View Post
Eric,

I am sad to see that Mike sold the car, but I am glad to see that you have it and I know it will be taken care of. It is kind of like giving away a puppy, you miss it like crazy, but rest easy knowing it is at a good home...

As far as some of the things that need work, I will try and post what I know.

All of the Engine / Performance mods must have happened after I owned it. When I had it the car was all stock to my knowledge. I am no expert in the mechanics of the internal combustion engine, but from what I was told it was stock.

Most of the equipment I installed in the car was in fact "for display only". I tried to get as close to accurate as I could find, but it sounds like I fell WAY SHORT on that task. I used some old MOHP pictures and information, but I guess some of my information was bad. The good thing was that I never drilled ANY additional holes in the car interior to get the equipment installed. Some of the things may have not been put in the EXACT location, but I got as close as I could to the exact location of things without having to drill. As far as the antennas I am surprised to hear something is wrong. I used pictures that Mike had when it was in-service and spent countless hours trying to find those that matched the photos. A couple of guys from the MOHP Garage looked over the set-up and said it looked good.

Bruce H. and I wired the car the way we did for several reasons. At the time we were having a HUGE problem here in MI with Police Impersonators and such. I work in Law Enforcement, but I obviously still have to comply with the regulations surrounding privately owned emergency vehicles. Everything was wired to that board in the trunk so that the main switch could be shut off and none of the switches on the control box had power. That way I could never be blamed for using the wig-wags, etc... while in transit. The lightbar quick connect was installed also so that I could take it off and not have to deal with those issues while in transit as well. It was a great set-up and the wiring job by Bruce H. was awesome.

The body shop I went to did do a pretty good job. It was certainly not a perfect job, but I was happy with it. I did a lot of the prep-work myself so I could say I had a hand in it.

Anway, I am glad you are going to do the car right! I just couldn't find some of the exact equipment and got as close as I could. I thought I had done a good job with it, but after reading your post I am embarrased that I even showed it in that condition! Maybe it is a good thing I got out of the hobby

Dave C.
Dave,

I didn't know you had signed up here, but I'll say that since you did, you are still in the hobby.

I think you deserve recognition for your original work on the car. You did that during a time when most people were throwing whatever e-equipment they could find on a given car and taking it to shows as a "restored" police car. I saw some of the worst in FL...and it helped me appreciate seeing cars done by those like you, Joe H., Bruce H. and others who went the extra mile and tried to be as correct as possible.

Eric P. does have a ton of knowledge about the MSHP cars and will take it to the next level. I'm sure it will be as nice as his other one when he's done.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 AM

Not that I want to refer to .org here...but I posted a small book over there about this car, it's equipment and not meaning to offend anyone!

1989 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang - P294

www.fotki.com/mustangretriever
Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangretriever View Post
Not that I want to refer to .org here...but I posted a small book over there about this car, it's equipment and not meaning to offend anyone!
what in the world for ??????

(just joking Eric)

I understand you wanting the car to be as correct as possible as I am the same way. I remember seeing the car when Dave owned it and thinking it was a super nice car. Back then he didn't have the benefit of your book and resto guide and all the research you have done so without a doubt he did a super job saving the car. It's all good and while I understand how he might have felt slighted by the post I imagine he will realize you were just excited to get the car and tweak it some to take it to the next level. When I bought the dark blue MSHP car from Gregg H we talked about the things that are not exactly correct on the car and he knows I have a laundry list of stuff to do. Many people would not do anything to the car and be perfectly happy with it. In the long run that is really all that matters, the fact that the owner is happy with their car. I have no doubt that when we see the MustangRetriever version of this 93 car it will be awesome.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 PM

I got all the correct equipment permanently installed and everything is working. I made several custom brackets to match the MSHP stuff and if I do say so it turned out really nice! I got it done just in time to go to it's new owner tomorrow. I guess I was always meant to just own one SSP at a time!

Exterior photos I took yesterday:

Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 PM

Here's some interior views.

This picture was taken by Trooper Cunningham when the car was still in-service in 1996:

This is what it looks like after I got done putting everything back in:

Old 11-10-2008, 12:01 AM

Great job Eric! The car looks awesome.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.