Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 AM

Default Restoration advice

I just bought a '93 SSP which is totally bone stock. However I want to make the car better but still retain it's value and character as an SSP. I had to remove the stock exhaust due to rust so I'm wondering what ehaust to buy that will look stock but give it a little performance. I'm thinking about a Force II kit from Flowmaster or a Dynomax kit which looks closer to stock. Any thoughts???
Also, on just about every Mustang I buy I do a rear disc conversion using OEM parts but I still retain the 4 lug wheels. Will this take away any value of being an SSP? In my opinion this is what Ford should of done in the first place.
Other than these two things the car will stay stock from the air silencer to the oil pan.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Wink

I think you were very lucky to find such a nice rare car that's NOT all cut up and beat !!!

I would say to stay very close to original , The Dynomax exhaust would be my choice because of the less noise .
As far as the brakes i would also keep the original stuff.

My USPS blue car came with the silver 10 hole wheels so i purchased a 2nd set to paint black ... take a lot at pic, that made a world of dif..
It the end it's your car to do as you wish but remember they are only original 1 time .

ssp91ssp
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssp91ssp View Post
I think you were very lucky to find such a nice rare car that's NOT all cut up and beat !!!

I would say to stay very close to original , The Dynomax exhaust would be my choice because of the less noise .
As far as the brakes i would also keep the original stuff.

My USPS blue car came with the silver 10 hole wheels so i purchased a 2nd set to paint black ... take a lot at pic, that made a world of dif..
It the end it's your car to do as you wish but remember they are only original 1 time .

ssp91ssp
After some thought this morning I am going to keep it all original except the exhaust. Like you said, I got real lucky to kind an unmolested car like this so why start now. That is what my GT is for.... I have the Force II kit on it so i'm going to go with something different (Dynomax) because it looks close to stock. Just unsure of what H-pipe to use.

Thanks for the input
Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Smile

If your stock H pipe is not damaged , run it ..

ssp91ssp
Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
If your stock H pipe is not damaged , run it ..

ssp91ssp
I will be taking the H-pipe out this weekend so I hope cats are not all broke up. If not, I will.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM

I've read on the SSP forums good things about the Dynomax exhaust systems. IIRC, you can purchase all-new parts from the header/manifold rearward. I went with a Thrush system on my 85, with hi-flow cats (one of the four cats was plugged up), and a new h-pipe. Here's a cruddy cellphone pic I took before he cut off the ends of the u-bolts -

The sound is quiet at idle, with a nice tone upon accelleration (not as loud as Flowmasters I've heard).

My car also has a 93 Cobra 8.8" rear in it (installed by a previous owner), with 3.27:1 gears and 4-lug disc brakes. I've got 11" 87-up front brakes as well, and the car stops as quickly as the tires will allow. If you do change out the rear, my suggestion would be to keep the original in case you ever want to put it back to stock.

As stated, it's your car to do with as you wish. It sounds like you have a good plan that won't sacrifice the SSP heritage that makes these cars so much fun to own, drive, restore, show, and/or enjoy.

EDIT: And those awful subframe connectors will be coming off my car at some point. They're so flimsy I can't imagine they are doing any good.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:

ssp91ssp
Buying those extra 10-holes and blacking them out was a great change on your car. That blue looks so good with the black wheels.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
My car also has a 93 Cobra 8.8" rear in it (installed by a previous owner), with 3.27:1 gears and 4-lug disc brakes. I've got 11" 87-up front brakes as well, and the car stops as quickly as the tires will allow. If you do change out the rear, my suggestion would be to keep the original in case you ever want to put it back to stock.
Do the rear disc brakes clear the ten holes or did the wheel have to be modified? Is having the rear set-up a big difference over stock? Do you have a picture of what it looks like through the wheel?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp1982 View Post
Do the rear disc brakes clear the ten holes or did the wheel have to be modified? Is having the rear set-up a big difference over stock? Do you have a picture of what it looks like through the wheel?
No modifications needed that I can see. Here are the best pics I could find, taken when the exhaust was installed.

I haven't driven a stock Fox to compare my SSP to, but my car handles extremely well, given the tires (the fronts need to be replaced soon). You can see the aftermarket panhard bar in the above pics too. But the rear discs will certainly lock up the 255-width BFG's I have in the back (I know because I had to avoid a Honda one day that turned in front of me and stopped!).

Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Thanks for posting those. Since most people scrap the ten holes when upgrading their brakes, I have never seen rear discs tucked behind them. As quickly as most everyone else on the road can stop, it can be scary driving a foxbody sometimes!