Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraDan View Post
I found the tag along the side of the dash that reads "NC Dept of Crime Control and Public Safety", so I would say it's definitely not NC Highway Patrol. It appears to have been more of an admin or investigator's car.
That is the tag the North Carolina State Highway Patrol affixed. They affixed two (2) different identifiable labels to their SSP Mustangs, but over the course of time (or at the owners hand) some cars have no labels any more, some have both and some have 1 of then. The FAS, or Fixed Asset System, sticker stated "Property of N.C. Department of Crime Control and Public Safety". Typically a silver label with black type and a unique number (typically beginning with number seven (7) and a six (6) digit number) with "- Do Not Remove-" underneath. The FAS began in the late 1970's and can be found on the driver side door inside the front jamb on left hand side of the plastic dash. In some cases they have been located on the glove box frame or on the map light itself.

The 2nd label that was used is the PIN Number, which is not related to the VIN or FAS numbers. It is four (4) digits and is believed to correspond to vehicle number on a particular contract (i.e. 0112 equals 112th vehicle on the 1990 order). Typically found adjacent to the inside of the driver's side door jamb on the left hand side of the plastic dash ear the FAS sticker. It may be typed on a white or pink paper sticker with the North Carolina state seal, or written in marker or crayon. In one known instance it was found on a faded blue plastic label located in the driver side windshield border with the year followed by the PIN Number. The PIN number was the preferred way of tracking specific vehicles and their corresponding Trooper and license plate number.

How the car was used by the NSHP is hard to say. They had both marked and unmarked vehicles. I hope this helps!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/