Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:44 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Forgive the poor picture quality, but I used my cell phone while the car was at the muffler shop -

From the above pic, you can clearly see the sub-frame connectors that were on the car when I bought it. On the pictures below, notice that they had to cut the tailpipes to fish them through each side. The car has a beefy panhard bar bracket welded-in at the top of the frame rails -

Sorry, but no video clip to post yet.
Hello Bill, The exhaust work looks great! Your choice to leave the panhard bar on the car was a good choice. If you were to drive a stock 1985 fox body car you would not believe how the car feels. My Stock 1985 CHP felt like driving a 1959 Caddy lol lol. The way Ford set the cars up for patrol service was really substandard for police use. The 10'' Pinto front brakes were really unsafe as well. Your car has disk brakes in the rear I see as well. I think your car is set up really nice. Your car is now way safer then when it left the factory. Great job Bill!!!......Keep me in mind if your car ever needs a new caretaker lol lol lol Rich
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP8336 View Post
Hello Bill, The exhaust work looks great! Your choice to leave the panhard bar on the car was a good choice. If you were to drive a stock 1985 fox body car you would not believe how the car feels. My Stock 1985 CHP felt like driving a 1959 Caddy lol lol. The way Ford set the cars up for patrol service was really substandard for police use. The 10'' Pinto front brakes were really unsafe as well. Your car has disk brakes in the rear I see as well. I think your car is set up really nice. Your car is now way safer then when it left the factory. Great job Bill!!!......Keep me in mind if your car ever needs a new caretaker lol lol lol Rich
Thanks Rich! I have no intention of selling this car. I'd sell our family truckster first - a 2005 Explorer XLT. I think the beefed-up rear is why I didn't have any damage to the suspension after sliding the car over the concrete lane divider (a highly evasive manuever to avoid a car that turned in front of me and stopped as I entered an intersection at 45mph). Glad I serviced the 87-up front brakes last month!

The installer at the muffler shop said he's done alot of Fox Mustang work, and had never seen anything before like the set-up I have welded into the back of my car. I agree with your assessment - I'd like to drive a stock SSP to feel the difference.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM

Ran across the following pic in my picture gallery at another forum.

Haven't really had the opportunity to work on the car much with the colder weather. My garage isn't heated, so I have to have a project in-mind to go out there to work. But I do drive it on nice days when the roads are clear.

Future plans call for installing a new radio. The front speakers are mounted and wired up, but the rears need to be installed. I would also like to track down the original CHP radio equipment and mounts. The passenger spotlight needs afix'n too.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Admin

I should be getting in one last batch of radio equipment from the CHP guy. Probably won't be any more CC1s or Micor heads from him, but maybe an amp or two and definitely both sets of rear radio gear.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM

My mailman dropped off a box today that I've been waiting to receive for more months than I care to count. Inside were some carefully wrapped CHP parts.

The first item is the CHP Shotgun Rack, which is a locking unit that is wired to the ignition switch. The CHP also had hidden switches for quick access. I believe that some modification(s) will be needed to make the standard CHP rack fit the Mustang, but I'm up to the challenge.

The next item is the Federal CC1 controller. According to the seller (who still outfits cars for the CHP), this CC1 is a working unit, so I will be able to use it to control the lights (no siren in my driver).

The next picture shows the original CHP first aid kit and bracket, as well as a Regency M100 scanner (an eBay find) that would have been installed in my car originally.

Not pictured are the two animal snare clips for the rear decklid. I will be getting a PVC animal snare soon. I also will be gathering the other trunk items used by the CHP. Once the shotgun rack is mounted, I will keep a fake Remington 870 shotgun in the trunk, and mount it when displaying the car (rather than driving around with a blue rubber shotgun in the rack). So little by little I am gathering parts for my CHP Mustang.

And the seller also included two CHP Assignment Cards (E408419 and E422920), so I will be in touch with those owners shortly to mail them their original cards.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Admin

Bill,

I got a CV rack from him, also. If you end up beating us to the mods, please post them up as I know Jim Y. is in the same boat.

That CC1 has front light cut-out, but should work fine for what you need. I may have another chassis here if you want to switch it out.

I also have a non-working MPA2 siren amplifier if you need it.

Let me know on the antenna clip, too....I think you still have mine?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Bill,

I got a CV rack from him, also. If you end up beating us to the mods, please post them up as I know Jim Y. is in the same boat.

That CC1 has front light cut-out, but should work fine for what you need. I may have another chassis here if you want to switch it out.

I also have a non-working MPA2 siren amplifier if you need it.

Let me know on the antenna clip, too....I think you still have mine?
I do! I broke my band saw blade, and need to get another. Once I do I will bang out a bunch of clips for those who have asked, and return yours to you.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Default My 1985 CHP #E408395

Here is another pciture of my SSP Mustang, parked next to a friend's take-home work-ride (Summer 2010) -

Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Bill - A lot to be proud of there and that black really sparkles!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 PM

very nice Bill. It is always good when you get them painted and back together.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP