Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Default 1985 CHP Mustang Dream Car

I picked up my dream car, a 1985 CHP Mustang Four Eye - confirmed by our friends right here! It had been sitting in a field since 1992 in Orange County and I purchased it off a nice 19 year old kid who bought it wanting to restore it but sold it for college money! Good luck Jake! He did not know it was an SSP or what that was. $1000 bought me a rust free (surface rust only) body, all buck tags in place, three of the four wheel caps, steelies, original seats in great shape, door panels in great shape, and still running with a new battery and fresh tune i gave it yesterday. Runs sluggish though so it may either be dirty fuel filter, rust in the lines, etc, who knows but I will be taking it to JBA in San Diego to have them tune it and get it running right. At that point, the fun will begin. I will post pics as soon as I take them, but this one will be fun!!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Congrats again! That was a super deal you got on that SSP. Were you able to find the CHP unit number above/below the VIN label on the driver's door?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM

i havent looked for the unit number as i was too busy trying to get it tuned and running. however, i notice the vin label is gone from the driver side door and there is peeling black paint and underneath its red and primer so either the door was changed out sometime or someone took the vin label off. However, I will be going through it after I get it running and reliable and I hopefully find something. Aside from the $700 in back fees, its was a steal! I have three of the four wheel caps so I am short one. Even the trim is in great shape, as well as all glass and package tray. Fresh carpet and dash pad and freshening up/dye of all the panels and door panels will make it look near new. Thick coats of dust/dirt cover the majority of the motor and interior which fit the story of it sitting for all those years, not to mention all the lien papers I got with all documentation of who owned it and where.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Welcome to the 85 CHP family!! We look forward to your progress.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks Ryan! I am at work now and all I can think about is going home to work on my 85! So much to do!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Sal,

This is important info, not to scare you, but this is what you will have to do to register your car.

Being a retired CHP officer, I hope that you received a title and sales receipt to the car. I also hope that you have good previous owner info... cell phone, address, maybe even a driver's license.
A removed vin plate would make me suspisious about it being a possible stolen vehicle.

Every CHP Office has a vin officer that can verify the vin ( usually on one or two hidden areas on the car ) You will have to make an appointment for that.
Make sure that you have a sales agreement or something from the owner.
Take in all of your current paper work for the car when you go in.
I'd do it as soon as you can, I'll tell you why shortly.

The manufacture sticker on the door is peeling off ? It could have been put there from another vehicle to look as if it was original. Red paint under primer black paint ? A fast paint job to cover the original color after it was stolen ? Does that plate on the car match the title also?

This might be why there are back fees on this car. IF it is stolen, they weren't about to take it in to register it and get caught.

Just a little warning to you, when you make your vin appointment ( which DMV will require you to do with a removed vin plate )
Be prepared...... IF while at the CHP office the officer finds that the car is stolen, you WILL be arrested for auto theft. Just purchased it or not.
They will hook and book you right there in the office and take you to jail after
getting your statement on the car.

My advice........... IF there is a vin # somewhere else on the car besides the door sticker, call a CHP office, see if it is stolen or not. Ask them if the plates you have are correct for that car. If not, give them the plate on the car see what that brings up.

You may be able to go into DMV and get this info also. IF it comes back stolen, and you are on the phone or at DMV, just tell them that you are looking at buying the car.
But most likely they will want to know where it is at and call an officer to come talk to you. They will want to recover it.

It may be clear title, no problems, get a new vin attached by CHP.
but primer black over red, a peeling door sticker and no vin plate are signs of a stolen vehicle. Just my thoughts on this is all.

Anyway, I hope there is no issues with the car. I just want you to be aware of what will happen IF there is a problem with the car.

Good luck
John
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt3434 View Post
i havent looked for the unit number as i was too busy trying to get it tuned and running. however, i notice the vin label is gone from the driver side door and there is peeling black paint and underneath its red and primer so either the door was changed out sometime or someone took the vin label off. However, I will be going through it after I get it running and reliable and I hopefully find something. Aside from the $700 in back fees, its was a steal! I have three of the four wheel caps so I am short one. Even the trim is in great shape, as well as all glass and package tray. Fresh carpet and dash pad and freshening up/dye of all the panels and door panels will make it look near new. Thick coats of dust/dirt cover the majority of the motor and interior which fit the story of it sitting for all those years, not to mention all the lien papers I got with all documentation of who owned it and where.

Sounds like the VIN is gone from the door, not the top of the dash. Doors get replaced often.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Just checked the entire car and all vin tags are in place and matching. All dmv paperwork is complete. The kid I.bought it off was very.nice and about.to start college. He just couldnt pay all the back fees and figured hed rathet sell it and get some college money. His mom was extremely nice, as well. She handled the entire transaction...good looking out though bro, glad we take care.of our own here on the forum!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 AM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

I just logged on on heard 1985 CHP....... Awsome!! I am here to help if help is needed.....
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 08-28-2012, 03:34 AM

I will definitely need help in parts location. Im Vince, glad to know theres help out there. Ill be posting pics soon