Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:16 PM

Default 1987 mustang cop car not ssp???

I bought a car today, from craigslist... Under an add mustang for parts... I emailed the lady and she said that it was a police car bought from one of the local departments... I asked how she knew this and she said her boyfriend had bought it from a department while they were together and he left it there.. I asked for a price and pics... She initially said it was a trunk model and then said hatch.. When i received the pics, the car is white with a police interceptor badge on the trunk.. The car appears very solid with low miles 23k and was a hatch.. Do any of you guys know if departments used hatches as patrol cars??? The normal things are not there but it is original paint, and not hot rodded at all.. The car is a bone stock 1987 white lx 5.0 5 speed hatch.. the only noted badging is the interceptor badge and the fact it was bought off a police department of some sort... Any input would be great!! Thanks

FRED ASHMORE
Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Admin

Fred,

The "police interceptor" badges were never used on the Mustangs, and started showing up on Crown Vics in '99.

Some departments used non-special service package cars for various duties, so it very well could be a car that was purchased from a department. However, the only hatches that we've ever heard about were the reportedly six '82s that were provided to CHP during the initial testing phase just before the 400 or so "severe service" coupes were ordered and put into service by CHP.

So...it's definitely not a true package car, but still could have been used for police-service, like many of the pics floating around of '05-up Mustangs being used.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 03-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I know it does not have the speedo, or the blue hoses or numerous other details, But the fact it was bought from a PD makes me wonder if they didnt cheap out and buy a base model lx off the lot... I don't know the difference in price but I would assume it was hefty... I will check the numbers on it when i get her home to see how it was ordered and maybe i can find a build sheet under the seat!!! There were 5 05 mustang copcars i have seen together in Maine... They are usually down south writing tickets.. Thanks for the reply.. A few more weeks and I can driver my 86 ssp, I cant wait!!!

FRED ASHMORE
Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM

I brought home the 87 lx 5.0 today from CT, the car is completely stock and untouched, It still retains the original, am fm radio with no cassette.. The car has 120k on it and it runs great.... the car has xxxx in the molding area however more recently has had mouldings put on it.. The buck tag is there and the car has never been wrecked... Does anyone know how to find out the original owner??? I did a carfax for it and it just says clean title no damage.... The interceptor badge is not original, but the paint is... So any info on finding previous owners would be great thanx

FRED ASHMORE
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Title search is the only way.