Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 PM

I can see the center 2 holes, what are the other 4 off to the sides for ?
Not brackets. Why 6 holes ??
Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va 5.0 View Post
Thanks Ken....figured it was not a coincidence those holes were in several cars.
This is a great web site, you guys have been big motivation to get me working on 2920....
It's a great place for guys with "finished" cars too...getting new information that comes up and new things to learn.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 AM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
John, I fashioned that trim piece after one that is on the board of a '90 that was transferred complete (whole radio system included, just stripped the decals) to a tribal police department in far Northern Cal. The owner was an NHP outfitter out of Reno and he told me that the radio board appeared to be untouched. I liked the looks so I copied it for my car.

Someone ask Rich what his board is made out of, it's painted and hard to tell from the photos.
My radio board and trunk box are made from plywood and painted all black. I chose to paint them. I did not like the look of bare plywood in my trunk. Robert Read who works for the CHP Motor Transport installed all my CHP board/radios stated most all radio boards were NOT painted. Only a few were painted. Mine might not look correct to some but I like the finished look of black paint. I hope this helps.... Rich
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM

That's what is neat about this hobby. We each have our ideas, likes and dreams of what we want our car to look like or be.

Mine is set up as I remembered them when I was on the job and driving them daily during my career with the CHP.
Yes I my car does not have the " correct rear deck lights " it had when it was in service. That is because none of the mustangs I drove had that type of light bar in the back. I didn't want it in this car.

There were several variations, both from Motor Transport and out in the field. Things were changed, modified, tried and got changed.
Repaired and fixed or modified by area office depending on their needs and issues of that office. AND the auto tech working on them.

A lot of things I flat don't remember too HA !!
I remember when we changed radio systems to the GE Ranger 810's. I hated it at first. Everyone did. But it was a good radio system.

So we get to learn something new on here often. I am sure things changed some with each new person installing on these cars also.
Just look at the door decals for instance. Often I wondered if anyone was sober when they installed some of these decals at Motor Services.

There is a Crown Vic parked at the shooting range at the CHP academy right now. Full of bullet holes from an Oakland shoot out.
The passenger door lettering is off so bad, it is embarrassing to look at LOL

Neat to know the variations of installaion of equipment on these units by year after year and see how things were changed or modified.

Then we each do our own thing as well.

Nice to see there was a different bracket on the mid 80's cars. I have never seen that before. If I did, I sure don't remember them.

By the way, I have a few of these CHP - EMT backboards used in 84 - 89 cars if anyone is interested. I think I have 4 or 5 left, I am keeping one for keeps sakes. Just pay shipping and it is yours. I want to get rid of them.
I gave Mike one. He doesn't keep it in his car, but it is a piece of equipment we did use back then. Just PM me. They have CHP burned into the board.
John
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Went out and looked at my 85 and my dads 90. Both had the middle support. Mine had two verticle holes to the right of the center two. Wider steel bracket was used. Probably another support?

Mystery-

And if you didn't know what was under the plate...

I'll have to look through all the Mustang Motor Transport Bulletins to see if there were any problems with the boards and the solution to the problem.

If anyone has an original center brace, or even the two outer braces that they want to get rid of, I'm seriously interested. Or if you have originals and can have exact copies made, I'd be fine with that.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
Went out and looked at my 85 and my dads 90. Both had the middle support. Mine had two verticle holes to the right of the center two. Wider steel bracket was used. Probably another support?

Mystery-

And if you didn't know what was under the plate...

I'll have to look through all the Mustang Motor Transport Bulletins to see if there were any problems with the boards and the solution to the problem.

If anyone has an original center brace, or even the two outer braces that they want to get rid of, I'm seriously interested. Or if you have originals and can have exact copies made, I'd be fine with that.
Here is some pictures from my 82 Unit 0204, with the two bracket holes holes in the upper center of the spare tire pan.The second set are to the right but located lower into the pan area of the tire well. The black metal support bracket in the pictures fits the lower right side of the holes. I actually weighed the GE, Motorola and Federal Signal Amp as base line of weight that sits on these Radio Boards. Cable harness ends with there individual connectors attached to each of these components were not weighed but they do factor in for weight as these were routed on top of the Radio Board to their individual components. My Myth Buster theory weighed in at a little over 48 lbs. It would be interesting to know the actual weight of everything that was placed in these trunks while in service and even the total weight of all the equipment installed starting from the front, inside and the trunk of these fast running cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99.JPG (105.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 999.jpg (231.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 9999.jpg (222.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 99999.jpg (221.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 999999.jpg (232.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 99999999.jpg (213.1 KB, 16 views)