Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Default CHP Rumor Regarding Restored Cars

I decided to feed my internet forum addiction and join www.evooa.org, which is a group dedicated to all types of emergency vehicles. After I posted about my CHP SSP Mustang, I rec'd the following message -

Quote:
Welcome Bill.
Several months ago, word got out that the CHP is no longer giving permission to have their retired vehicles restored or replicated. This created a big stir here in Calif.

There was also word going around that if an on duty CHP officer was at an event ( parade , car show, safety fair etc.) he or she has the power to cite or impound the vehicle, if the owner could not produce documentation showing that CHP sanctioned the vehicle restoration or replication.

They have even clamped down on the companies that replicate the vehicle emblems from what I was told.

CHP vehicles on the East coast, should not have any problems, unless they are used in an inappropriate manner.

Just thought I would pass this information along.
If anyone has updated info, please post it as well.
I'm NOT saying that this is indeed fact, but I wanted to put this out for discussion here. I know Utah has done something similar in regards to prohibiting the use of their state emblem on former police vehicles. Has anyone heard about the CHP doing something similar?

This has little impact on the plans I have for my car, because I am making it an unmarked driver and I live 2,800 miles away. But it certainly could affect others living in California who are looking to restore their CHP car.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!