Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Default Learning about my 1989 Minnesota State Patrol SSP

Hello - Thought I would some of things that I have learned about my 1989 Minnesota State Patrol SSP Mustang. I've been fortunate to have some friends in Minnesota who are LEO and have shared some good information and contacts that have also led to further good information.

Things that I already knew about his SSP. It's a confirmed Minnesota SSP via the buck tags (say Minnesota); a registration card, and other clues that match up with known information on these. Documentation includes an registration card circa 1989 that includes the title number; depicts Minnesota State Patrol as registered owner; shows the original license plate number as well as what appears to have been the second license plate number to adorn this SSP.

A very knowledgable and reliable contact believes that my SSP was originally assigned to a Trooper Suzanne Hackett who worked in the Hastings Station at the time and later retired as a Lieutenant. The SSP then transferred to a Captain Don Kunelius who was the Fleet Adminstrator at the time. He later transferred to the Commercial Vehicle section while retaining this SSP. In doing so he continued to drive it for awhile until the new Fleet Administrator said it was time to go. It then went off to auction in April 1993 with 88,000 miles (it now has just over 104,000 miles on it). It is believed that my particular SSP Mustang was the last Mustang to have been in-service with the Minnesota State Patrol. Believed to have been auctioned at an event taking place at Fort Snelling.

From an equipment standpoint I have learned quite a bit. Included is the name of the company that originally outfitted these (no longer in business) and a spin-off company that is in business and the person who runs the company was one of the people who originally outiffed the Mustangs. I am trying to make contact with him now. I have learned the kind of radio installed; about the "undercover" antenna setup; front, rear deck and bumper lights; flasher setup. Need to fill in some more information here but this is a great start so far. I've already placed an order with M-squad for one (1) door emblem (on magnet). As most of you know the Minnesota State Patrol only had a passenger side door emblem on the Mustangs. Reproduction license plates have already arrived sporting the original plate number for my car.

Off to a pretty exciting start and looking forward to continuing the research. I've uploaded all the photos taken the past couple days to my Fotki album http://public.fotki.com/MOstang/must...a/photographs/ . This is a great hobby!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM

I may be a little late in saying this -

'Let the fun begin!'

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 AM

Hi Bill - You hit the nail on the head with that comment . Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 AM

Mike , nice little update !
Yeap , looks like it's going to be a fun car ya .

Hec
ssp91ssp

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM

Here's a link to a video walk around I did of my MSP Mustang on Sunday. That particular video is the top left one for anyone intersted in seeing after it was cleaned up.

http://video.fotki.com/Mostang/