Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Your car looks very nice indeed but a word of forewarning - even though you don't have white doors, with the addition of the spotlights and antenna to that particular combination of colors, at some point you should expect to gain some measure of unwanted attention from LE out on the road.

Maybe you'll be able to finish it off as a full restoration someday and dedicate it to that duty. More four-eyed SSPs at shows are always a welcome sight!
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
Your car looks very nice indeed but a word of forewarning - even though you don't have white doors, with the addition of the spotlights and antenna to that particular combination of colors, at some point you should expect to gain some measure of unwanted attention from LE out on the road.

Maybe you'll be able to finish it off as a full restoration someday and dedicate it to that duty. More four-eyed SSPs at shows are always a welcome sight!
I am still waiting to get pulled over by a LEO while driving my car, as it has the spotlights, deck lights, and antennae. You should probably cover your lights like I did (the acetone removes the KC lettering) -

I also have the CHP lights on a separate fuse block that has the main fuse near the battery. I remove that fuse to make the lights inoperable while on the road (plus it will keep me from melting another cover if the light gets bumped on). Not only does my CHP Mustang meet the letter of the law here in Delaware, it exceeds the statutes. I figure it's best to err on the side of caution.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. The spotlights aren't functional when I drive or when parked in the garage, but I'll look into the covers.

Have you been pulled over in your SSP, Michael (I imagine you cover over your decals)? Do you drive it to shows?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, guys. The spotlights aren't functional when I drive or when parked in the garage, but I'll look into the covers.

Have you been pulled over in your SSP, Michael (I imagine you cover over your decals)? Do you drive it to shows?
Yes, I do drive it to shows and yes I have been pulled over. All lights (including spots) and decals are covered and "Not In Service" signage displayed. Not all officers know about this hobby or the intentions of owners of restored vehicles and some don't really even like seeing these types of vehicles being used for drivers so be careful out there and use plenty of common sense. Also, read through all the posts in the forums on this and other like sites as this subject has been discussed at length numerous times and there are many good viewpoints on it you should be aware of.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 PM

Thanks, Michael. I found some good threads on the subject.

Here's another picture until I get my next photo session.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Curious - any new pics of this car or progress on the resto? Keep 'em coming!

Looks fantastic and is inspiring me to get going on mine again.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:51 PM
...Gathering Parts

I can't hardly wait until I get mine in that part of the restoration process!! More photos please!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Thanks. I'll work on getting some more good photos up.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM

This is inspiring me to get off my rump and start my own 85 CHP project.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM

[/quote]

very nice