Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 AM

Default 1985 CHP (SMPV) Mustang #E408383

I am making a limited offer on my 1985 CHP Mustang #E408383, which was a Specially Marked Patrol Vehicle. If it does not sell, then I will set the car aside and restore it later. For those who do not know, a SMPV is the CHP acronym for Specially Marked Patrol Vehicle and it was used for commercial truck enforcement. There were 17 SMPV cars that first year, and only 5 were Mustangs. This is the only car to have surfaced from the first year of the program, and is only 1 of 3 SMPV Mustangs still out there (the other two are and 89 and a 92 as I recall).

The SMPV is out of the body shop, and spent the winter in my garage, along with the 85 GT parts car I purchased from Rich (also being sold as part of this limited offer). The 85 SMPV Mustang is shown in the same Fotki album as before:

http://public.fotki.com/28HopUp/1985-chp-e408383-smpv/

The 85 GT parts car and equipment/parts are in their own album, as seen here:

http://public.fotki.com/28HopUp/1985-parts-/

Let me rattle off items as I think of them:
  • The SMPV is not ready for paint. A large amount of time was spent on the ¼ panels, decklid, and roof; plus the time spent on the frame machine to repair the passenger shocker tower, apron, and cowl. The doors and front-end need more prep. The entire car will need final prep prior to paint.
  • The car is base coated with epoxy primer, and then two coats of 2K high-build primer. It has been scuffed too.
  • The nose came from FMR (used, and the paint is peeling). I do have the original nose with the siren cutout, but add’l holes were cut into it and it may not be salvageable (but you could measure and replicate the hole in the other nose).
  • The bottom of the passenger door was smashed in pretty fair. Kris (my body guy) pulled it and started with a skim coat of filler. The door needs more work.
  • The headlight header panel I have for the car is cracked, but the one in the 85 GT should be OK.
  • The battery is still mounted in the trunk, and I keep it disconnected unless running/moving the car. I do not think the wiring is safe from my inspection of it. The harness through the firewall was cut (very unprofessional – there is a photo in the album). The car only turns off (with the key off) once you take your foot off the clutch.
  • The shotgun rack will need to be modified to lay down along the transmission tunnel.
  • I have not purchased a pair of the 5" spotlights for this car.
  • As posted in the thread, the floorpan has stress cracks. The photos are in the album, and they are certainly repairable.
  • The engine reportedly came out of a Cobra, but I doubt it. The car does run strong. It shifts fine, but the rear-end is toast. The LSD is shot, and the pinion has a lot of play. It needs a new steering rack.
  • I have extra door skins, and if the ones in the GT can swap out to a notchback, then those are nice too.
  • Presently, the only items not shown in the parts album are the steel wheels, the decklid antenna (I do not have a base for the antenna, but I believe those are still available new, having bought one in 2008 for E408395), and the noses.
  • The CHP Assignment Card will be included with the car. This is shown on the car’s page in the VIN Project ( http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info234896.htm ).
  • The 85 GT is titled in my name, but it is not registered (they call them a “U-title” here). The SMPV is still titled to the seller in California, but it is properly signed by him to sell it. I plan to have Delaware DMV inspector come to my house to confirm the VIN in order to title the car in my name as done with the 85 GT (note: the SMPV is now titled in my name)

I will have to assemble a list of the CHP parts I purchased along the way that are included with the car(s). I would like to get $6,000.00 for everything (2 cars and the CHP parts!). Once the SMPV title is put into my name, the cars/parts are ready to go at your convenience, yet I can hang onto to them until you are ready to arrange transportation (the SMPV will stay parked inside my home’s 2-car garage). My email is mm750[at]comcast[dot]net or if you want to discuss this by phone, and my cell is 3O2-5four7-l8one5.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 AM

Whooops! I meant to include the Members' SSP thread on this car -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=4511

Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 PM
It wasn't me....I promise

If only I was in the market for another ssp project, this one would be it!! Good luck with the sale Bill!

1988 Alabama DPS SSP - Demopolis Post/Marengo County - Unit #186

1991 GSP SSP - Troop G / Post 10 - Unit #1238--Sold
1986 Nevada HP SSP - Region HQ/Carson City - Unit #289--Sold
1992 FHP SSP - Troop L / Palm Beach County - Unit #1537--Sold
Old 04-30-2015, 09:51 AM

Thank you, Brad! I am testing to gauge if there is any interest. I want to start the restoration of our 66 Mustang coupe this summer, and with Jack in college I do not see me having much time/money to put into the SMPV for a couple of more years. The 85s are not costing me anything at this point - just storage space that could be put to better use.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 AM

My $0.02: Avoid future regrets-put the SSP on ice until the time is right to bring it back to life.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Default CHP

Bill GLWS
Old 04-30-2015, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the input, guys! I would definitely regret selling it to someone off of Craigslist. I figure if someone here was willing and able, I would sell it to them. I may list it on FEP too, but that would be the extent of it. I am fine with keeping it, too.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Admin

Good luck with it, Bill (whichever way you end up going).

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-01-2015, 12:40 AM

Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 AM

Thank you, Andy!