Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 PM

Nice picture with Ponch! The episode came out in early '83. I've never seen the episode but based on the clip, it seems like the Capt. is worried about the safety of the car, especially at the end when the officer says, "they got away but your car is ok.". With all the hype around the car when it came out, a scene like this would have been a great piece of marketing for it's launch.
I'm so happy that clip finally surfaced!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 PM

Default Nice Video...A couple of Problems...

Cool Video of an SSP in action. But I noticed two problems:

1. The Mustang running Code 3...but no wig-wag hi-beam headlights. As I recall that was wired such that as soon as code 3 eqpt was energized the wig-wags operated.

2. The pursuit was initiated by the Mustang. Once the motors arrived, they took over as primary...WRONG! In reality, the car would have remained primary. If a motorcycle initiated the pursuit, a car would take over as primary as soon as it was in position. If an air unit was available, it would take over as primary in either case.

Now you'd think Robert Pine would've known that...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:02 AM

Default One More thing...

And as Columbo would say, "There's just one more thing"... : That officer driving the Mustang needed a haircut. If I had shown up for duty with hair like that, even in the early 1980s, the shift Sergeant would have told me to get squared away.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:08 AM

LOLOLOL gggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz it's a TV show for GOD's sake
" Hollywierd "

Ponch and John !!!

But you are right lol

Not sure the Dept. had wig wags in 82. I may be worng, but I do not remember them in 82.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And as Columbo would say, "There's just one more thing"... : That officer driving the Mustang needed a haircut. If I had shown up for duty with hair like that, even in the early 1980s, the shift Sergeant would have told me to get squared away.
There's our resident expert on the '82's. Have you done anymore searching for your '84 or thought anymore about trying to find another '82, Steve?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:26 AM

I finally decided if I was going to look for a vehicle to restore it should be an '82 since that was the first year, and the first one I drove and had for the longest time. I happened across one in California that I got and put into storage for a while; 0204. I am trying to get it roadworthy but I have this vexing radiator fit problem that I posted about in another topic.

BTW I met a guy with a restored 1984 at the Emergency Vehicle Show in Ripon, CA recently who said he knew of a company in Chicago that makes complete repro decals . He was going to look up the info for me when he gets a chance (he had major back surgery a week after the show).
Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10608 View Post
LOLOLOL gggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz it's a TV show for GOD's sake
" Hollywierd "

Ponch and John !!!

But you are right lol

Not sure the Dept. had wig wags in 82. I may be worng, but I do not remember them in 82.
My wife gets mad at me during movies and TV shows when I complain about glaring accuracies, including tactical ones, LOL.

The wig wag feature was very useful in the '82s. For Code 3 operation the only other light facing forward to warn traffic was the red spotlight. Not enough when you are driving at high speed, certainly.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
My wife gets mad at me during movies and TV shows when I complain about glaring accuracies, including tactical ones, LOL.
Glaring INaccuracies...it's early morning here and I haven't had my coffee yet...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Cool Video of an SSP in action. But I noticed two problems:

1. The Mustang running Code 3...but no wig-wag hi-beam headlights. As I recall that was wired such that as soon as code 3 eqpt was energized the wig-wags operated.
Steve, just operated the CC*1 in my '88 a couple of weeks ago at Ripon and it's fresh in my mind. When you move the 2nd toggle from the left (marked "FRONT") one position up (marked "RED") you get the ruby and one more position up (marked "RED WIG-WAG") adds the headlight flasher. The other code 3 equipment is activated from the first toggle ("REAR" - deck lights) and third toggle ("SIREN") so many combos are possible.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/