Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 AM

Default 0366 went for a ride

Well, I took the Mustang out to a body shop for the first time on Saturday.

I've never pulled the drive train on a Mustang before, what is it like? I'm a little more used to removing and working on 440's and 383's in full and mid size Mopars. Is it easier to pull the engine and trans together? Then all I need to do is decide what to do about the engine, I'd like to free up a little power while keeping it stock looking. I was thinking of having the exhaust manifolds extrude honed and ceramic coated. I'm pretty sure that my car has about 115k on it, will it be worth tearing into the 302? So far it seems to run better than it has a right to, with 157 HP.

Also, how hard is it to remove the door glass?

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litsnsirn View Post
Well, I took the Mustang out to a body shop for the first time on Saturday.

I've never pulled the drive train on a Mustang before, what is it like? I'm a little more used to removing and working on 440's and 383's in full and mid size Mopars. Is it easier to pull the engine and trans together? Then all I need to do is decide what to do about the engine, I'd like to free up a little power while keeping it stock looking. I was thinking of having the exhaust manifolds extrude honed and ceramic coated. I'm pretty sure that my car has about 115k on it, will it be worth tearing into the 302? So far it seems to run better than it has a right to, with 157 HP.

Also, how hard is it to remove the door glass?
Door glass it no real issue. There are some pop rivets in the bottom where is attaches to the risers. Drill and keep it cool.

The engine remove the radiator, pull the shifter, driveshaft, pull hoses, clutch cable, speedometer cable and wiring from engine and body. Un-bolt the exhaust after the engine and then remove the trans cross member and engine mount bolts. Remove the hood for easier pulling. hook it up to the hoist and pull away. You may need to put the car on jack stands in the front so there is enough tilt room for the transmission and then pull it.

If you are wanting more power I would self the original motor and find a good 1985 GT distributor as well as an 87-93 5.0 and toss it in. Install a nice EGR friendly intake a decent carb and re-install all the emissions equipment and you should pick up a few HP. This way if you ever want or have the need to sell the car ALL ORIGINAL you have everything still there and you can give it all to the next owner. Me I would leave it as original as can be since it already is and just know that it is a V8 with as much HP as a 2008 Honda Civic.

It's your car and do with it as you will. The newer 5.0 will get you to the 200+hp range just by doing the small items I told you about.

I have in fact a reman 85 GT distributor (NEW minus pigtail) that I am selling to clear out all my stuff.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM

You are probably right, I should just clean it up and leave it alone. I think that I might do the manifolds, any way, because then I could have them ceramic coated in the cast iron look coating and then they will not get rusty right away.

Do they make any decent clutches for the 4-speed cars?

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 05-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litsnsirn View Post
You are probably right, I should just clean it up and leave it alone. I think that I might do the manifolds, any way, because then I could have them ceramic coated in the cast iron look coating and then they will not get rusty right away.

Do they make any decent clutches for the 4-speed cars?

Not sure about the clutch... I'm sure the stock replacement would be sufficient for the power. I think they are a 10" setup.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 PM

I debated on the power issue with mine also. 1983/84 cars got about a 20 hp boost with a 4V carb and intake. You could do that and keep the stock appearance. I decided to get the 2V rebuilt and leave the rest stock.