Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 PM
CHiPster

Default Fender spacing??

I am having a big problem with my resto. I am having a big argument with my body shop over the spacing between the fenders, hood, and the bumper cover. I have a huge space on the right side fender and the hood and the left side looks to be just right. The front of the hood and the bumper cover do not align correctly.

Before the car went into the shop, all was square, the hood lined up perfect with the bumper cover and the fenders. Now nothing looks right. The bumper cover that was on the car before it went into the shop is not the same one that is on now. The old one had to be replaced.

According to the shop, the difference in spacing is because the front bumper cover is not OE and it is not square with the mounting holes of the fenders. Blah, Blah, My response to them is "That is not my problem". They had told me prior to starting the project that all would be fine after they get done with it.

I told them that they should have figured the spacing out prior to painting and should have given me the option of buying another, OE bumper cover. Well that did not happen and they went ahead and painted and placed the cover with what is a terrible and uneven spacing on either sides of the fenders and hood. Also, the front ends of the hood do not end flush with the fenders. They stick out approximately 1/8 inches.

Has anyone here had any problems with this. If so please let me know if I am wrong to want my car to be done right!!! I can tell the shop does not like it when I show up because they are going to hear it from me. Not to mention they have had the car for almost 6 months. I am not a happy camper right now and I am about to tell the shop to stop all work and just let me take it home.

I am not close to any "body shop man" but to do a job where things do not align or square up, I should have just done it myself in the garage and done a half ass job!! My understanding is the shop people have the skills to make things fit right.