Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Mustang Fan!

Default 1985 CHP For Sale

Not mine ....... just passing it on.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1741176744.html

http://public.fotki.com/88stang/
Old 05-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Quoting the CL ad -

Quote:
1985 mustang chp coupe 5.0l - $2800 (downey.ca)
Date: 2010-05-14, 2:02PM PDT
Reply to: see below

this is an original chp all stock with 117k miles runs perfect needs paint it is fading new tires original 15x8 steel wheels nice original x highway patrol mustang call me for more info 1-323-849-9696
This is CHP #E408419 that was talked about here -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2692

Guess the car is still for sale. Thanks for posting this Brian!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 PM
It is what it is.

Car is sold. After speaking with Rich who looked at the car, I called the owner to try and make a deal. Stated he sold the car for $2500 already.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 AM

Default 8419 owner

Seems like a good group here. I'm the one who bought 8419. I don't (yet) have near the breadth of knowledge about these cars that you guys do, but, interestingly, I had similar concerns about this car to the ones I saw posted on ssp enthusiast sites...though I didn't see the threads until after I'd bought the car.

28HopUp: I'd love to have the assignment card, if you wouldn't mind passing it along to the new guy. I've begun assembling a hefty e-file of pix, links, and info. So far, hard paperwork is mostly all the DMV stuff involved in getting this thing registered to be driven again.

I have a few questions: could someone refer me to a parts source for antennae, spotlights and other lighting? Also, were the 85 CHP SSP's quarter window louvers painted black or white? I've seen them both ways in pictures.

I've got a long, long to-do list, and am reaquinting myself with the specifics of the Holley-carbed 5.0.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 AM

Congrats on picking up this CHP SSP...it will be fun to keep an eye on your progress.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 AM

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new ssp !

Hec
ssp91ssp

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Seems like a good group here. I'm the one who bought 8419. I don't (yet) have near the breadth of knowledge about these cars that you guys do, but, interestingly, I had similar concerns about this car to the ones I saw posted on ssp enthusiast sites...though I didn't see the threads until after I'd bought the car.

28HopUp: I'd love to have the assignment card, if you wouldn't mind passing it along to the new guy. I've begun assembling a hefty e-file of pix, links, and info. So far, hard paperwork is mostly all the DMV stuff involved in getting this thing registered to be driven again.

I have a few questions: could someone refer me to a parts source for antennae, spotlights and other lighting? Also, were the 85 CHP SSP's quarter window louvers painted black or white? I've seen them both ways in pictures.

I've got a long, long to-do list, and am reaquinting myself with the specifics of the Holley-carbed 5.0.

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the site, and congrats on purchasing #8419! I also thought long & hard about picking up that car. Your car seems to be in about the same condition that mine was in when I bought it in 2008, but you paid less for yours. I will be happy to mail you the original Assignment Card when it comes in.

Regarding the side louvers, the '85 CHP's had them painted white, and in '86 they were painted black. There are two restored 85's that have them painted black, which arguably looks better on the two-color car. You have to refer to the few in-service pictures to see for sure.

In terms of sourcing the CHP radio equipment, I will PM the contact I have for those parts. He's in Sacramento. The parts are not inexpensive, but it's not like you can buy them by calling 1-800-CHP-PARTS. Sometimes you'll see things listed on eBay too.

If you would, please post up more pictures of your new car. The seller only sent two that didn't show much of the car. I would love for you to post pics of the bumper cut-out on the driver's side, and maybe include dimensions of the hole (it's for the siren). Your car still has the original bumper, so that information would be helpful to those of us whose car has a replacement bumper.

Again, welcome to the site!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Wow......looks allot like 8397 before i started working on it.
this is the place for good information and help.
I put a patch behind the speaker cut out on my 85 before paint and
have not yet re opened the cut out for the speaker.
the patch that i used was bigger then the opening so when it's
cut out it will have some re enforcement (overlap) around the opening and
will not flap in the wind. Good find! Welcome to the site!
you are Amigo 5? 4? ..............ask Bill i have lost count
Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Admin

+1 to what everyone else said....welcome to the site.

As for the radio equipment, I have some more coming from our friend in CA (not the contact mentioned above by Bill). I'm not sure if there will be any more CC1s from him, but it doesn't get any better than the radios still marked with CHP property stickers (surplused years ago). I definitely have 2 more available, and probably more after that.

Also, check out some of the restoration-related pics and info we have in the CHP resto section if you haven't already.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/CHP.htm

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome and the info, everyone.

I'll get some pictures together and measure the bumper opening when I have a few minutes. I've removed a lot of the trim in prep for paint, so the car looks particularly ragged (great for before and after pictures, though).

My wife thinks I'm nuts.