Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Default osp ssp

that is rob canons old car, it came out of this area in tacoma wa.

http://public.fotki.com/WSP-LXMike/
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSP-SSP View Post
that is rob canons old car, it came out of this area in tacoma wa.
Is Rob the one who picked the numbers for the except license plate by using his date of birth? I remember seeing that at some point in the car's life.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 AM

I am going to drift a little, but hopefully I've tied it back in by the end.

I saw this at my hometown's cruise night(emergency and military vehicle night) this evening and it really made me think of this Mustang. This had corner strobes, a Whelen Edge that was way too new, LED's in the top of the windshield, and mounted on the outside top of the roof, pointing to the rear, were the factory LED deck lights from a CVPI, still in their CHMSL housings. You can just see one as a green hump above the rear window. It is a great example of how something cool can go really awry, though, I think, the CUCV is worse off than the SSP.

Then, at the same event, you have Dave Neuman's fabulous 86 Ford, which to me, is just about as perfect as it can get.

Which leads me to my question. When you compare these two, they show up at the same event, and the wrong one is the showier(I guess, I lack a word for this) vehicle. If you had this Oregon SSP and a properly restored one together, the educated enthusiast would know the difference, but how does the casual car show attendee know the difference? I know that a certain amount of our devotion is really for ourselves and maybe there is no way to share that.

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green
Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Admin

They don't.

You hit home with that post. I remember going to a show at Silver Springs in FL (years ago) and seeing a "restored" FHP car there. Not a single piece of equipment was correct, but it was definitely "showy".

There are guys out there that just want "blinky functionality" (and attention), and others who want to restore their vehicles correctly. Thankfully, more of the latter participate here, 'cause that's what we're all about.

That Crown Vic is absolutely beautiful. Wow.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 AM
...Gathering Parts

The general public doesn't know anything or really know or care of what is the difference. They simply want to know where the next Icee is coming from or where they are going tomorrow night, yadda, yadda, yadda "oh look at the flashing lights". The cars that are flashier with excessive LED's mounted or more power output strobes will draw more attention and in some ways goes with the movie/tv mentality of what people see in general in our cars that we painstakingly restore.

It really doesn't matter to them, it has to matter to you. If you build it, it should be accurate to the best of your ability and you have to want it to be that way. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:18 AM

Sorry to revive this old threat, but this is an interesting discussion.

As a complete noob the car does have some appeal to me, but I understand this car is a little over the top. I would like to know: what kind of lighting would this car originally have had? Even I can see the bumper lights make no sense but what about the roof light? Could that be original?

This basically is a white car with a small logo on the doors, is that original? Normally HP cars are better recognisable? I'm just trying to understand what is original and what is fake on this car.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 AM
...Gathering Parts

This is the car from the auction:

...and this is what it should look like:

The eBay car has too many lights, wrong wheels, should not have pushbars and no LED lights on the back tray to really get the car correct. The decals are actually correct in general so that's not the issue. Hope that helps.