Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Agency-Specific Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Agency-Specific Restoration Have an Agency-Specific question? This is the place.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:18 AM

Default My first legal headache - Need advice or legal help

Does anyone know the laws in New York - (I am in NYC) with owning an FHP car? I am obviously not driving it on the road and just have it for display - I had a an FHP Plate made from the Platemeister and the officers went nuts cause the plate was not for the car and I was told to remove it - he also said some other things which did not make sense - I tried to google the laws but did not have much luck - any help you guys can give me would be great - I have a fully marked B4C with Lightbar

I would also like to get some magnets to go over my decals and a "out of service" for the lightbar it is a Whelen LFL lightbar - I currently have the car out of sight becuase this whole issue came up 2 days ago with the NYPD and am waiting for it to blow over - thank you inadvance as always for all your guys help!
Old 07-25-2009, 02:49 PM

In New York state, it is illegal to "affix" (display) a blue light to any vehicle unless that person is a volunteer firefighter.

I'm not sure of the license plate statute but I can probably find out.

Keep everything covered bottom line unless it's in your garage or at a show. The Camaro's doors are fiberglass so you're going to have to figure out how to cover them without magnets.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHP813 View Post
In New York state, it is illegal to "affix" (display) a blue light to any vehicle unless that person is a volunteer firefighter.

I'm not sure of the license plate statute but I can probably find out.

Keep everything covered bottom line unless it's in your garage or at a show. The Camaro's doors are fiberglass so you're going to have to figure out how to cover them without magnets.
I wasn't aware of that. Looks like blue painters tape would be another possibility for him. I agree though - keep everything covered up and you should be OK. Did they give you a ticket?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 PM

No just a stern warning - but my whole point was to have it displayed at shows and in front of my shop - Where do i get those not in service lightbar caovers for a whelen lfl anyway?

Anyone know where I can find out what the laws are? If the car is for show display does the bluelight law come into effect?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Galls has those covers you could also try ebay. I would think you're ok at a show but if it's in the street or on a driveway it is subject to scrutiny.

1993 FHP 813
1986 UHP SSP slicktop- Getting there little by little.
1993 Floyd Co Ga\Rome Ga pd SSP SOLD

E
ven grief recedes with time, but we must Never Forget. 9-11-01

Mustang Club of America member.