Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Default Rust removal tips for 86 mustang

just picked up a 86 mustang ssp and it has a couple spots that are rusty anyone have any tips to adress the areas with rust?

Matt
Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 AM

Matt, are you talking about surface rust or cancer with thin metal and holes? Where is the rust specifically?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Cool Matt, you found another '86 SSP?! What did you pick up this time?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Yeah found a 86 mustang ssp with 192k miles all original other than throttle body and air cleaner and this is the one i have been holding out for. It has a couple little spots of surface rust on the rear quarter couple places, nothing too bad, however the doors have more but it looks like surface rust mostly i will post some pics shortly. Even has the original hubcaps and full size spare with hubcap too. White car blue interior. Story is the grandpa bought 3 ssp cars at an auction and gave this to his grandson like 4 yrs ago and i picked it up. Right place right time. I had the flu yesterday and still drove down a hour to get it. I guess you could call it mustang fever. 86 dont seem to pop up very often at all. This one i for sure plan on keeping.

Does have kinda a weird problem kinda hard to start when warm but i am thinking its the ect sensor. Never had this happen before. The kid i bought it from was a mechanic so car was definitely not abused, oh and the clutch pedal is so hard i feel like its going to break when i push it any tips?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Default pics

Here are a few pics, more to come, let me know ur thoughts. Tips on adress these little surface rust areas appreciated.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang111.jpg (45.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang 222.jpg (46.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang 333.jpg (47.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg mustang 444.jpg (71.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Looks great Matt! Which department did it serve with? Cool addition.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stielow775 View Post
Here are a few pics, more to come, let me know ur thoughts. Tips on adress these little surface rust areas appreciated.

Matt
Looks like it has the typical trunk lid cancer too (my newly acquired 89 has it bad, but I'm going to try to save it). How is the inside lip of the trunk? 86s will always be my favorite of the Fox Chassis Mustangs. Good luck with it!

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
2018 2.7 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercrew
Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
...Gathering Parts

I've used white vinegar on rust in the past as it's mild acidic nature will cause a ferric oxide reaction and after you rinse and dry the corroded area becomes more metallic than not (looks black too). I've not done these methods in a while but boric and citric acid combined (Borax and Lemon Juice actually) also does the trick. You have to leave it soak on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with water and dry it thoroughly. No harsh chemicals basically and it works.

The vinegar trick also works well if you have had an alkaline battery that has corroded some copper contacts. Use the vinegar but it doesn't have to be on there for 30 minutes, generally using a q-tip and dabbing it on will remove the copper corrosion quickly and then wipe it down with water and dry thoroughly.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM

The inside of the lip of the trunk is in pretty good shape. Just has a couple small issues nothing major and for a 86 its pretty darn clean, floor pans and the rest are clean and spotless.